MurraysWorld  >  Chit Chat  >  2011 Election Thread
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 ... 19 Reply

2011 Election Thread

Hey guys, David Cameron has just said on TV that if Scotland wants a referendum for Independence, he will fight it with 'every fibre of his being!' Hmmmm!
Cameron's a bombastic idiot.  What right has he got to interfere in Scotland's affairs? - Absolutely none.  If anything his intervention would only get people's backs up, given how much the Tories are loved in Scotland - not!

And, speaking of a Referendum, someone on the Radio (English) felt that the Scots should not be allowed to do this on their own, that the English should have a say. 
I think that IF the Scottish people did vote in favour of independence, only then should England, along with Wales and N. Ireland have a say in whether or not they'd agree to this country seceding from the Union, in which case Wales and N. Ireland probably couldn't care less, while as far as a lot of English people are concerned it would be a case of 'good riddance'.

However, I think that what most Scots, myself included, really want is more powers for Holyrood but not a break-up of the Union, because (a) it's not in the country's best interests, and (b) breaking the Union would not be very straightforward.  Seceding now would involve constitutional changes in the UK as well as financial and business issues.  The process therefore could be a long drawn-out affair.

... you know already it highly irritates me that Scots are entitled to the same things as English residents in England yet the English in Scotland are not entitled to stuff like Scottish free education, I imagine it will only get worse with the SNP.
Are you seriously trying to tell me that English people resident in Scotland don't enjoy the same rights as the Scots?  For the moment at least English residents have every entitlement to free state education, free prescriptions, the benefits of Council Tax freezes, and free care for the eldery.

For your information, three English people I know well who are resident in Edinburgh voted for the SNP, the reason being that they are happy with the way the SNP have been running the country and were not impressed with what the other parties had to offer.
IP Logged
Caz

You do realise that if education was free for English students in Scotland, there'd be no places for Scottish students?
Could it also be because the money fot Scottish education comes out of the Scottish purse..........which is nothing to do with England? I know I've said this before.......there is no such thing as 'free' education! Somebody somewhere has to pay for it! In this case....that'd be the Scots!
IP Logged

Caz, something I totally agree with you over- women voting  thumb up The "personal is political" as they say.
Hey, all u Scots folk, Cameron must be a Scot mustn't he, with a name like that, why export the duds  no
Come to think of it, many of Brown and Blair's cabinet, including them, also Scottish.......... makes u think...Wink
IP Logged
Caz

It doesn't seem like England, Wales or Northern Ireland want to prioritise their interests over Scotland's... you know already it highly irritates me that Scots are entitled to the same things as English residents in England yet the English in Scotland are not entitled to stuff like Scottish free education, I imagine it will only get worse with the SNP.
What things would those be then?
IP Logged
Caz

Caz, something I totally agree with you over- women voting  thumb up The "personal is political" as they say.
Hey, all u Scots folk, Cameron must be a Scot mustn't he, with a name like that, why export the duds  no
Come to think of it, many of Brown and Blair's cabinet, including them, also Scottish.......... makes u think...Wink

Yes I do feel strongly about it BBH......That's exactly why there are people dying in Libya.......Egypt.......Syria [where the streets were awash with blood]! They just want the right to 'choose' who will govern them.......they want the right to vote. As for women, in some countries they don't even have the right to fart....never mind vote!
IP Logged

Yes I do feel strongly about it BBH......That's exactly why there are people dying in Libya.......Egypt.......Syria [where the streets were awash with blood]! They just want the right to 'choose' who will govern them.......they want the right to vote. As for women, in some countries they don't even have the right to fart....never mind vote!
Good posting!
IP Logged

But ... my vote or lack of it here is not going to help them one little bit.

And "The Personal is Political" feminist rallying cry and women's movement in general is not something I engage in.
IP Logged
Caz

Actually everything you do.....or don't do, has a consequence......just like the butterfly beating it's wings on the other side of the world. A tiny consequence? Sure......but all those tiny consequences add up! Every single vote counts Daisy.......every single one makes a difference......even if it's only a tiny one! There are those right here in Britain who would rob us of our right to vote in a heartbeat! [like the guy on the radio yesterday]. That must 'never' be allowed to happen.
[ Last edit by Caz May 07, 2011, 11:39 AM ] IP Logged

Caz, Yes! Yes! Yes!
Daisy, every decision made in Parliament has consequences in our personal lives from the closing of Sure Start programmes to going to war with Iraq.
IMHO democracy sucks BUT it's the best political system there is and if we choose not to exercise our tiny "rights", who knows what our political "masters" would think they have the "right" to do?
IP Logged

Are you seriously trying to tell me that English people resident in Scotland don't enjoy the same rights as the Scots?  For the moment at least English residents have every entitlement to free state education, free prescriptions, the benefits of Council Tax freezes, and free care for the eldery.

No, we are not entitled to your free university education. I pay tuition fees in Scotland.   And you know what infuriates me even further is that students from the EU benefit from the free university education that the Scots do, so why not people from other parts of Britain?

And it is called FREE education because the immediate cost to the Scottish student is zero whereas I will be paying back a double figure loan when I graduate for sitting in the same classes as someone who got it for free.
IP Logged
Caz

No, we are not entitled to your free university education. I pay tuition fees in Scotland.   And you know what infuriates me even further is that students from the EU benefit from the free university education that the Scots do, so why not people from other parts of Britain?

And it is called FREE education because the immediate cost to the Scottish student is zero whereas I will be paying back a double figure loan when I graduate for sitting in the same classes as someone who got it for free.
Yes and I agree that's not fair........EU students should be made to pay!
IP Logged

Enjoyed reading all this thread, very interesting. Just to comment on the last post, the EU students should be made to pay that is definitely not fair or right that they should have free tuition.  nah
IP Logged
Caz

Oh....one thing I did mean to say earlier.......I never burnt my bra in the 70s........I've never been, or wished to be part of any feminist movement and......'The Personal is Political'?.....Never even heard of it!
IP Logged

If you don't vote do not moan about the government you get.  Women fought hard to get the vote
So why waste it. Look at the vote in England in a few places it was only 10%. And do not blame the Scottish Government about tuition fees. As taxpayers we in Scotland pay taxes. It is the Westminister
Government who set tuition fees in England so go and complain to them. If you voted concervative or
Lib Dem then you got what you deserved. After all Nick Clegg is the one who sold you out.
IP Logged

If you don't vote do not moan about the government you get.  Women fought hard to get the vote
So why waste it. Look at the vote in England in a few places it was only 10%. And do not blame the Scottish Government about tuition fees. As taxpayers we in Scotland pay taxes. It is the Westminister
Government who set tuition fees in England so go and complain to them. If you voted concervative or
Lib Dem then you got what you deserved. After all Nick Clegg is the one who sold you out.

I fully blame the Scottish Government, do not discriminate between students based on whether they are Scottish or English.  I also pay tax here as I have to work to support myself while I attend a Scottish uni so on top of my fees, I also pay for your education, so I'm not really sure what your point is.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 ... 19 Reply