MurraysWorld  >  Chit Chat  >  Corona virus
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 ... 30 Reply

Corona virus

Evidence seems to be growing that wearing surgical masks or frankly anything over your face (i.e. cotton) is helpful at reducing risk to yourself. Even with penetration the viral load is reduced.

There was a lot of early skepticism in the West of public mask wearing but I think it was primarily rooted in preventing stockpiling to the detriment of medical staff.

Also, it seems N95 masks are not necessary unless you happen to be involved with aerosol generating procedures (i.e. hospital).

So I'm pretty glad I distributed a few surgical masks (sourced from HK) to my family a few weeks ago. And you only need a few - evidence from Stanford University suggests you can re-use them by placing them in the Oven for 30 minutes at 70c.  But for those without, literally just wearing a scarf around your face is better than nothing.

I resorted to a massive scarf wrapped around my face, wore my glasses for travelling even though I don't need them for that, and gloves when I was still having to use public transport in London. Viral load seems to be a significant factor in how ill a person can potentially get and not enough is really being explained about that.

Got two masks at the chemist near campus - they were selling individual masks for a couple of pounds each the day I left London when our department switched to online/remote teaching. Haven't used them yet, but thanks for the tip about putting them in the oven. Might need them if I need to venture near a supermarket - trying to very much avoid that if at all possible. Made various food and froze it about three weeks ago in preparation for this so hope I don't need to go anywhere for anything for a while.
IP Logged

Personally I do not think the public will cope with the twelve weeks first suggested. My neighbour, a reservist member of the Armed Forces thinks that if the policy gets more authoritarian then we will get civil disorder!
I agree with your neighbour because it's something I've been concerned about for a while simply because the British aren't used to living under an oppressive dictatorial regime and so at some point many of them will start to rebel and ignore some of the restrictions.  In fact it's already happening in France.

If people stop thinking of how it is affecting them personally and realise that all these measures are to try to stop the NHS being overwhelmed, they will cope.     NHS staff are having to cope.     We are not supposed to enjoy this period of our lives just get through it.    As Nicola Sturgeon pointed out if your life feels normal you are not following the rules.
I agree with that too but unfortunately it seems that there a lot of selfish people around who just don't seem to care whether they pick up the virus and pass it on to others.  Mind you I was a bit startled this morning when a delivery man from the chemist almost shouted at me to 'keep your distance', which is what I was doing anyway, simply because I'm not used to hearing these words and being told what to do.  Perhaps if people added the word 'please' whenever possible it would help.
IP Logged

Stagecoach refused to let my son onto  the bus as he couldn't pay with contactless.  Luckily his dad could take him into work. Otherwise he would have been over an hour late.

I can understand their reasoning, but the email about reduced times table stated "pay with contactless where possible."
IP Logged

Stagecoach refused to let my son onto  the bus as he couldn't pay with contactless.  Luckily his dad could take him into work. Otherwise he would have been over an hour late.

I can understand their reasoning, but the email about reduced times table stated "pay with contactless where possible."

Unfortunately I think that sums up a lot of the confusion over what we should or shouldn't do at this time, particularly as we're being bombarded with information on an almost daily basis.
IP Logged

I resorted to a massive scarf wrapped around my face

You can also soak it in salt water along with a drop of washing-up liquid to make it more effective. Actually not nonsense.

But sounds like you're sorted now you have those masks Smile
IP Logged

'doom and gloom'??!!
50 million + dead does rather darken the mood.

Sorry to have touched a nerve. My 'doom and gloom' comment was related to the views at the time that Spanish Flu would never be controlled. It was. I do believe that it is too easy to panic. Until we all know more on treatments and vaccine development successes then that route is too easy?  

Back on Influenza A which I mentioned, since the 1918-19 outbreak of that subtype known as Spanish Flu, it has generally been contained. It was over in a year.
The same applied for the pandemic that was a new subtype in 2009.
After that date there have been many small outbreaks of H1N1 strains of Influenza A in an area bordering the Mediterranean. Luckily none of those spread much. The worst was in Iran (now also suffering badly with this latest pandemic when 56 died in 2019.

That , compared to these Influenza events, the infections and deaths for Copid-19 are relatively small can be considered indicative what we might expect as the outcome for this pandemic. I think that we can be more positive as a result.  There is one obvious downside currently. Since 1918 we have gradually moved to an 'open global society' so large areas of the world are, or will be, infected so the spread will be far greater.  

It is worth considering that the worst spread of illness in the UK since the Black Death (Plague) was the Spanish flu with only 250,000 deaths here including those who died of other conditions as a result. Half of those who died were in the latter group. This from projections is not expected to be as bad. I agree with that from just simple mathematical analysis.
[ Last edit by marathonarthur March 26, 2020, 02:56 pm ] IP Logged

Sorry to have touched a nerve. My 'doom and gloom' comment was related to the views at the time that Spanish Flu would never be controlled. It was. I do believe that it is too easy to panic. Until we all know more on treatments and vaccine development successes then that route is too easy? 
Apologies for intruding in this discussion but I came across this article in The Guardian which I found interesting and helpful when it comes to understanding much of the panic reaction to the current situation -

"Fear of Covid-19 is a mental contagion – and that's something we can fight"
"Panic brings out the worst in us. Instead let’s spread courage and solidarity"

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/mar/26/fear-of-covid-19-is-a-mental-contagion-ben-okri

Also, and I know it might sound strange, but could it be that many of those who are flouting the rules and having meetings with their friends, etc, is simply because they're terrified of getting the virus and are panicking so much that rationality and thought for others has gone completely out of the window?  I say this because it's amazing just how many people, and not just 'oldies' either, are afraid of being on their own, even in today's high tech society where it's possible to communicate with each other at a distance.
[ Last edit by Aileen March 26, 2020, 03:47 pm ] IP Logged

You can also soak it in salt water along with a drop of washing-up liquid to make it more effective. Actually not nonsense.

But sounds like you're sorted now you have those masks Smile

Thanks. Hopefully won't need to use the masks very often. Got some really funny looks a few weeks back when I was travelling with the massive scarf setup! But I was really unwell in the autumn (started with something unrelated, but then many of my symptoms in weeks 2-4 of that virus were eerily similar to this coronavirus strain) and still not fully recovered so I really don't want to take any risks with Covid-19.
IP Logged

Until we know more on treatments and vaccine development successes we follow the lockdown rules.    That way we will hopefully reduce the risk to the people on the frontlne.   Treatments and vaccines are for the future.   The general public can do nothing about that.   What we can do and should do is follow the rules.
IP Logged

Good set of measures for self employed workers announced by Sunak today.

Very impressed with how the government has responded to the economics of this crisis.
IP Logged

For those looking for some diversion, THE NATIONAL THEATRE is streaming some of its most popular productions for free on YouTube, starting on 9th April.  The films will be shown at 7pm on Thursdays and will remain available for one week.

For details see - https://londontheinside.com/national-theatre-to-stream-plays-for-free/
[ Last edit by Aileen March 26, 2020, 07:19 pm ] IP Logged

Thanks for posting. By then we’ll be ready for something different.

IP Logged

Good set of measures for self employed workers announced by Sunak today.

Very impressed with how the government has responded to the economics of this crisis.

"If you're in trouble Rishi's your man"   --- article written by John Crace Smile Smile

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/commentisfree/2020/mar/26/lucky-man-sunak-dishes-the-dosh-and-eyes-up-johnsons-job
IP Logged

Major edit  done 10.30am

^ I agree that the intention is good but too many people will fall through the cracks imposed by the mechanism adopted by Sunak. The major flaw is the delay till June for three months of payments.  They should run their computers to identify all self employed and pay a set sum into their Bank Accounts for three months, starting asap, on account against later tax payments.  Keeping it simple costs less also.  Many of those he needed to help are overlooked without any other back-up support options as many who were saving to get onto the property ladder will not qualify as a result. Seems those trying to do the right thing and save for their needs will again be penalised.

I do not know how many but I suspect that a large group will not get money that they urgently need.  A few of those that need something more done urgently are listed below.

Zero hours workers
Those new to self-employment
Those whose mean three year profits were £50,001 per annum who are assumed to have resources to cope
Those on very small self employed profit who will get a pittance.
(Both the latter two may still have full expenses. so lack of revenue becomes the issue rather than their profit).

Please correct me if I have made a serious misinterpretation.
[ Last edit by marathonarthur March 27, 2020, 10:37 am ] IP Logged

^ Is it not a better situation than the one you praised Trump for? The one that was kicked back because it wasn't good enough and far too many people fell through the cracks.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 ... 30 Reply