MurraysWorld  >  Chit Chat  >  Corona virus
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 130 [131] 132 133 134 ... 144 Reply

Corona virus

Well worth getting the vaccines. Even if you don't normally mix much it only takes a twist of fate (e.g. need for other medical treatment) and you can be in contexts with especially bad variants around . Once you have antibodies your chances of holding off the virus increase greatly.

Yeah, this is especially true of the delta variant, where early stage infections generate 1000x the viral load of the original Wuhan strain. Merely standing near someone with it is enough to catch it.

Unless you plan to isolate yourself in your house for the rest of your life with no contact with anyone else ever, you have two options: get a vaccine, or get covid.
IP Logged

Unless you plan to isolate yourself in your house for the rest of your life with no contact with anyone else ever, you have two options: get a vaccine, or get covid.

Yes get a vaccine, protect yourself and others too.
IP Logged

I didn't plan to isolate myself at home, just that I'm housebound for reasons beyond my control, and if anyone does come into the flat I keep well away from them.  Also I wash hands thoroughly afterwards as well as after touching anything which has been delivered or comes through the letter box, so why should I have a vaccine which could either kill me or make me very ill?

Yes get a vaccine, protect yourself and others too.
I'm no threat to anyone.
IP Logged

I didn't plan to isolate myself at home, just that I'm housebound for reasons beyond my control, and if anyone does come into the flat I keep well away from them.  Also I wash hands thoroughly afterwards as well as after touching anything which has been delivered or comes through the letter box, so why should I have a vaccine which could either kill me or make me very ill?

Say you are taken ill in a few weeks time - no option but hospital. Lots of close interactions, and even with the best care/precautions there is a risk of picking up the virus. If so then your chances of survival may be similar to playing Russian roulette. With the vaccinces though, you have much improved chances.
IP Logged

Been hearing from various reliable sources that double jabbed people are now falling ill to the point of hospitalisation.
IP Logged

Been hearing from various reliable sources that double jabbed people are now falling ill to the point of hospitalisation.

yes some unfortunately are, though this was always anticipated
IP Logged

yes some unfortunately are, though this was always anticipated
Was it?  I’m not really sure we know what we’re doing, tbh and how can we?  A minefield. I’m not going to lie - did I want the vaccination, not really, but it felt like the responsible thing to do given all the facts that were presented to us.  Government guidance is worthless.  These people are shameless.  An utter disgrace.
[ Last edit by Elly July 19, 2021, 06:00 pm ] IP Logged

And I know one of them.  Currently in ICU.

I’m not really sure we know what we’re doing, tbh and how can we?  A minefield. I’m not going to lie - did I want the vaccination, not really, but it felt like the responsible thing to do given all the facts that were presented to us.  Government guidance is worthless.  These people are shameless.  An utter disgrace.
Totally agree Elly.  The truth is that we are guinea pigs for these vaccines only the government/scientists/experts never told us that.  Of course I do realise that if they had than even more mass panic would have set in.

Also I know several people who have never had the vaccine but who have taken, and still do take, all the precautions, including avoiding crowded places, and so far anyway have escaped catching it.  On the other hand I have a friend who's been double-jabbed but who is scared to go out in case he gets it!
[ Last edit by Aileen July 19, 2021, 07:11 pm ] IP Logged

Was it?  I’m not really sure we know what we’re doing, tbh and how can we?  A minefield. I’m not going to lie - did I want the vaccination, not really, but it felt like the responsible thing to do given all the facts that were presented to us.  Government guidance is worthless.  These people are shameless.  An utter disgrace.

This government is indeed dodgy, to say the least. But what has been said on vaccines stacks up, mainly because it is scientifically based.
IP Logged

Also I know several people who have never had the vaccine but who have taken, and still do take, all the precautions, including avoiding crowded places, and so far anyway have escaped catching it.  

They could quite easily have had it but been asymptomatic,
 then unwittingly passed it on to people who later died. The best reason to have vaccines is to protect others.

IP Logged

They could quite easily have had it but been asymptomatic,
 then unwittingly passed it on to people who later died.
That's a pretty despicable assumption particularly as you don't know the people concerned.  Well I do and very much doubt that they were a threat to anyone given their lifestyles plus all the precautions that they take.

This government is indeed dodgy, to say the least. But what has been said on vaccines stacks up, mainly because it is scientifically based.
Really?  So how about this rather damning admission (and Sir Patrick's feeble excuse) -

"Speaking at a Downing Street news briefing, Sir Patrick Vallance said: "In terms of the number of people in hospital who've been double-vaccinated, we know it's around 60% of the people being admitted to hospital with COVID."

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-60-of-people-being-admitted-to-hospital-with-coronavirus-have-been-double-jabbed-says-vallance-12359317
[ Last edit by Aileen July 19, 2021, 07:24 pm ] IP Logged

That's a pretty despicable assumption particularly as you don't know the people concerned.  Well I do and very much doubt that they were a threat to anyone given their lifestyles plus all the precautions that they take.

If you are a human, you are a virus threat to others. The best you can do is minimise that threat, which these people haven't done.

So how about this rather damning admission (and Sir Patrick's feeble excuse) -

"Speaking at a Downing Street news briefing, Sir Patrick Vallance said: "In terms of the number of people in hospital who've been double-vaccinated, we know it's around 60% of the people being admitted to hospital with COVID."

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-60-of-people-being-admitted-to-hospital-with-coronavirus-have-been-double-jabbed-says-vallance-12359317

??!! If you had actually read the article then you'd have seen that it is vaccine scepticism that is damned.

IP Logged

In the UK we have vaccinated ~95% of the at risk cohort. If we assume vaccines are 90% efficacious at preventing hospitalisation, we'd expect a large proportion of admissions to be of doubly vaccinated people simply because there are so many of them.

Simple example:

- take 1000 people, 950 of whom are vaccinated
- assume that a vaccine is 90% effective,
- assume that your chances of being hospitalised if not vaccinated are 1/10 (roughly right for the at risk cohort)

Using simple probability we'd expect that:

- 5 people hospitalised in the unvaccinated group, out of 50 total
- 10 people hospitalised in the vaccinated group, out of 950 total

Without any vaccinations, we'd expect 100 people to be hospitalised. Get a vaccination.
[ Last edit by boogers July 19, 2021, 08:33 pm ] IP Logged

If you are a human, you are a virus threat to others. The best you can do is minimise that threat, which these people haven't done.
I beg to differ.  How can you be a threat if you take sensible precautions, lead a fairly solitary life, and obey all the guidelines laid down by the government?

??!! If you had actually read the article then you'd have seen that it is vaccine scepticism that is damned.
I have read the article, twice - and my conclusion is that Sir Patrick is trying to wriggle out of having had any responsibility for this mess by citing two sets of figures which clearly don't match up in the hope that the clueless will believe the lower one, i.e. 10%.  Unfortunately for him I think most of the population is by now wise to the attempts by the government and its advisers to create confusion in order to cover their mistakes.
IP Logged

@boogers - Stop trying to defend the indefensible and stop trying to tell me what to do because it's none of your goddam business!
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 130 [131] 132 133 134 ... 144 Reply