MurraysWorld  >  Chit Chat  >  Getting to know you - one and all!
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 59 [60] 61 62 63 64 Reply

Getting to know you - one and all!

Hmm - I suppose I'm just boring English, no particular accent as I came from Kent. Can't even claim to anything Devon except for the odd Dartmoor/west Country phrase that slips in when I'm not thinking. Nothing like the lovely Scottish accents you all have I'm sure. I suppose we've got more used to the soft lilt of the islanders as we've spent so much time on Mull. Lovely sound - send shivers of delight down my spine - always made me feel 'Oh how lovely - we're back again!'

For some reason I had you with a Devon accent Jan!  It's amazing what our imaginations feed us, isn't it.

Do you have your bags packed yet?  When are you off?  Are you excited?  I'm excited for you ...
IP Logged

My accent is a mixture of 'polite' scots and irish.  My husband says when i'm annoyed or really angry it goes into full irish mode (he says its my rebellious irish blood surfacing! shocking)  Still trying to sell our house the market is very slow but we're keeping our fingers crossed although we are reducing the selling price in the hope that it moves soon pray
I don't envy you Iris. We have decided that we're staying where we are We have a nice 4 bedroomed detached house with a spare room en suite, conservatory, double garage and space to move about it. The new builds nearby are either very large or too much smaller. We can both work on the computer as our tiny 4th bedroom is an office and once we had two computers but rather than upgrade them both we opted for a laptop with inter connecting ability so I can work downstairs at things if I want to with full access to the main computer. Garden is tiny but manageable - it's home and there's room for Emma to come home if she needs to but she does love her independence.
IP Logged

Daisy I've replied to your message thus: Go onto Sky Sports 4 and THEN press the red button and you will get the tennis screens. Other channels have cricket and football - we thought we'd lost it as we didn't realise each channel has its own red button screens. Tennis was on Sky Sports 4 last. Querrey fought back ond won the second set even though Stan had set point at one stage. Good match so far.
IP Logged

On the spit ... I can feel the flames  nervous
Naah! Can't believe that!
IP Logged

Daisy I've replied to your message thus: Go onto Sky Sports 4 and THEN press the red button and you will get the tennis screens. Other channels have cricket and football - we thought we'd lost it as we didn't realise each channel has its own red button screens. Tennis was on Sky Sports 4 last. Querrey fought back ond won the second set even though Stan had set point at one stage. Good match so far.

Thanks Ja

Thanks Jan - got them humming away in the background.

I see Wawrinka has his right thigh strapped ... hope it is just prevention.
IP Logged

Naah! Can't believe that!

devil  this is really me ... I just wear the duck suit when I leave the house ... lol
IP Logged

For some reason I had you with a Devon accent Jan!  It's amazing what our imaginations feed us, isn't it.

Do you have your bags packed yet?  When are you off?  Are you excited?  I'm excited for you ...
I wish I could speak Devon - it's gorgeous, soft and lovely, although if it's very deep Devon you have to listen hard to catch what they're saying.
IP Logged

I wish I could speak Devon - it's gorgeous, soft and lovely, although if it's very deep Devon you have to listen hard to catch what they're saying.

And that is exactly how I imagined you to sound.  Amazing.  Must be because you have the great Surfer Grandma as an avatar that lends itself to the gorgeous Devon accent.
IP Logged

Yes, I should change the avatar, it's been there some time now but I can't find anything I like as well. Any news of Mark - is he beginning to find his way again do you think? Haven't seen him post much lately but I expect I hven't been on the right threads. Been a bit busy.
IP Logged

Oh, I don't think you should change it .... I really like it and I think of you whenever I see it. hug
IP Logged

devil  this is really me ... I just wear the duck suit when I leave the house ... lol
lol
IP Logged

Hmm - I suppose I'm just boring English, no particular accent as I came from Kent. Can't even claim to anything Devon except for the odd Dartmoor/west Country phrase that slips in when I'm not thinking. Nothing like the lovely Scottish accents you all have I'm sure. I suppose we've got more used to the soft lilt of the islanders as we've spent so much time on Mull. Lovely sound - send shivers of delight down my spine - always made me feel 'Oh how lovely - we're back again!'
Oh dear - and I thought you had a lovely, but not deep, Devon accent, but I realise that where people live now isn't, like me, necessarily where they come from.

I agree about the lilt but I think you'd find the accents of central Scotland, unless they're toned down a bit, harsh on the ears.  I know I do, and I was born and brought up in this part of the country!  The exception is the Glasgow accent, or "patter", which at its broadest is, like Doric, practically a language in its own right.  Pronunciation apart, it's uniqueness is the speaker's ability to run several words together to form a one-word sentence, e.g. "whitzatawabootbyraway? (what is that all about, by the way?), and the use of the glottal stop, i.e. missing out the "t" in the middle of words so that "patter" becomes "pah-er" and "bottle "boh-le", etc.

I just love listening to it, but then my mother was a Glaswegian (although no noticeable accent), so there's Glasgow blood in my veins.

"Glasgow sayings and words and how to speak them" - http://www.top-ten-glasgow-guide.com/glasgow-sayings.html

[ Last edit by Aileen September 08, 2010, 03:49 am ] IP Logged

We have a few new people I see and it would be lovely to get to know them a bit better - Tessie seems to be the latest person and I see from the 'How do we talk about Andy thread' that she is younger than I am but a little bit older than some of the 'youngsters' - do hope you enjoy MW Tessie and anyone else who has recently joined. If you feel like it - tell us a bit about yourself on here - being nosey isn't the intention - it just helps people to respond if they speak with a bit of knowledge. This goes for anyone else 'new' or even not so new if they wish. I'm off to America next week just for a fortnight and I'll look forward to catching up on all the threads when I come back. hug
IP Logged

We have a few new people I see and it would be lovely to get to know them a bit better - Tessie seems to be the latest person and I see from the 'How do we talk about Andy thread' that she is younger than I am but a little bit older than some of the 'youngsters' - do hope you enjoy MW Tessie and anyone else who has recently joined. If you feel like it - tell us a bit about yourself on here - being nosey isn't the intention - it just helps people to respond if they speak with a bit of knowledge. This goes for anyone else 'new' or even not so new if they wish. I'm off to America next week just for a fortnight and I'll look forward to catching up on all the threads when I come back.
This thread does need to be livened up again.  I really enjoyed it.  Hope you  and Ossie have a great holiday. hug
IP Logged

This thread does need to be livened up again.  I really enjoyed it.  Hope you  and Ossie have a great holiday. hug
When I come back I'll collect the newbies and send them a PM inviting them to post on here - you're welcome to do it if you want to - there do seem to be quite a few including the fresh lassie(/)
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 59 [60] 61 62 63 64 Reply