MurraysWorld  >  Chit Chat  >  In a relationship, who should buy the lingerie?
Poll
Who should buy it? (you can change your vote later)
The girl. - 2 (33.3%)
The guy. - 0 (0%)
Split it 50/50. - 2 (33.3%)
I don't know. - 2 (33.3%)
Total Voters: 6

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 Reply

In a relationship, who should buy the lingerie?

I'm disappointed only 3 people have voted in my poll Frown

The reason is that your poll choices are incomplete.

There is no single answer. It depends on the occasion.  

In my personal opinion :
a) If the WAG (Wife and Girlfriend) likes the lingerie then she should be the one to buy it (assuming she is earning an income otherwise a few persuasive words to her HOB will settle the matter quickly Smile)
b) If the HOB (Husband or Boyfriend) likes the lingerie then he should ask his WAG opinion first whether she likes it before he buys and pays for it.  This shows respect for his partner's feeling and consideration.  There is a possibility that what he finds appealing may be considered non appealing or "non acceptable" (e.g. because it is too flouting) according to his WAG.
Some people are more conservative than others based on their personal upbringing/background and find certain lingerie to be too revealing to be comfortable emotionally for them to wear.  People have different taste.  Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Of course, he can buy the lingerie first and ask later but will then risk wasting his money unecessarily.  It would be better to consult and the couple will likely end up with a choice that will tick both of their boxes and gives more guarantee to provide a satisfying result.  If it becomes a choice desired by both and they earn a salary then the cost can be split if both insist on paying.  The easiest would be 50/50. An alternative choice would be salary based e.g. the person earning double the income of the other will pay 2/3 of the cost.  

There is no single answer and hence there is no vote Smile.
[ Last edit by Philip May 05, 2010, 11:29 pm ] IP Logged

If a man bought me lingerie, I would beat him to death with an International Women's Day booklet.

Oh! Why stop there?! Why not just give me a garter belt, a black eye and an eating disorder while you're at it?!
IP Logged

If a man bought me lingerie, I would beat him to death with an International Women's Day booklet.

Oh! Why stop there?! Why not just give me a garter belt, a black eye and an eating disorder while you're at it?!
How come?  I'd much prefer a man bought me lingerie than a vacuum cleaner or a food mixer.  Then I really would beat him to death with an International Women's Day booklet!  Buying you lingerie just means he's comfortable enough to think you're sexy.  Doesn't mean he's a neanderthal.  Very Happy
IP Logged

I'd much prefer a man bought me lingerie than a vacuum cleaner or a food mixer.

Urr hurhur. It wouldn't be soups and smoothies being blended in that mixer. Something far dearer to him should be getting intimately acquainted with that blade.

I dunno, call me old-fashioned but I think it's sexist. We are not mannequins to be decorated to arouse menfolk! Although, of course, I wear makeup and clothes that aren't made of sacking and won't even try to pretend that "I do that for myself".

My friend's (now ex- !) boyfriend bought her a gym membership for Valentine's Day. LOL AAAAAARGH!
[ Last edit by Joely March 09, 2011, 11:18 pm ] IP Logged

Certainly no reason to be offended by it, that is very odd indeed but I'm glad you'd use your own money at least. Smile
IP Logged

I can see the silliness of getting a bit 'Germaine' on your asses alongside my gorgeous bikini'd glamour shot...
IP Logged

shocking Wow fairly extreme reaction - since I like pricey lingerie then I'll be happy to let my husband (if and when I find him) buy it for me lol

Gym membership...does she like going and would go anyway? If so thoughtful gift of something useful to her that she enjoys, if not then a weird one Smile
IP Logged

Urr hurhur. It wouldn't be soups and smoothies being blended in that mixer. Something far dearer to him should be getting intimately acquainted with that blade.

I dunno, call me old-fashioned but I think it's sexist. We are not manequins to be decorated to arouse menfolk! Although, of course, I wear makeup and clothes that aren't made of sacking and won't even try to pretend that "I do that for myself".

My friend's (now ex- !) boyfriend bought her a gym membership for Valentine's Day. LOL AAAAAARGH!
No, we are not manequins etc., totally agree - but we are women, and men are men. Like you say, you wear make up and dress up, if not for a man for yourself.  Sometimes I see how men can feel like they can't win.  If he buys you lingerie, he's sexist and if he buys you practical household applicances, then you want to whizz his bits.  Yes, there are other presents in the in between category, but it'd soon get super boring if no attention were paid to the 'frission'....
IP Logged

Joely, sorry to burst your idealistic bubble but in this regard, life is and always will be sexist and that's fine because it's the way we are wired.

Men will place physical attraction above most things when it comes to women.

And women will naturally be attracted to status, power and money.

Both are equally shallow and yet equally fine because it's not our fault. Accept it and be happy Very Happy
IP Logged

I didn't have a choice. My ex dragged me into Ann Summers to buy her stuff, including a vibrator. £25 for that piece of plastic.
IP Logged

Hazy: you're so lovely for seeing the positive. I should have added that he selected the 'gift' because she had put a bit of weight on. Now, I'm not saying that that's every man. But it's a man! In the world, going about his business, now perpetuating the idea to other women that they exist primarily to service male sexuality...!

Elly: I hear you. I like a frisson myself - although I suspect I like it cos I was conditioned to like it? I don't actually spend my daily life spoiling Moments by pointing out gender inequality. But I really think it's there - everywhere! And it makes me mad!
IP Logged

Joely, sorry to burst your idealistic bubble but in this regard, life is and always will be sexist and that's fine because it's the way we are wired.

Men will place physical attraction above most things when it comes to women.

And for women will naturally be attractive to status, power, money.

That's the worst thing I've heard all day. And I've seen various news reports from Libya. They weren't as devoid of hope!

IP Logged

That's the worst thing I've heard all day. And I've seen various news reports from Libya. They weren't as devoid of hope!

No point romanticising the truth, sorry.
IP Logged

You'll grow to love Mark's Karl Pilkington-esque views on the world.
IP Logged

Read some books on male and female psychology. I'm not a bastard, I'm a truth bringer.
[ Last edit by Mark March 09, 2011, 11:55 pm ] IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 Reply