MurraysWorld  >  Chit Chat  >  News Thread
Pages: 1 ... 475 476 477 [478] 479 480 481 ... 821 Reply

News Thread

Parliament only had the power to change the law, not the courts.

As much as I agree that this is disgusting, the courts he appealed to had no authority over it.
It doesn't change the fact the law is how it is right now. It's outrageous.
IP Logged

It doesn't change the fact the law is how it is right now. It's outrageous.

It's going to require a lot of time to change the law as you're essentially putting in a loophole for the murder statue (as the murder statue currently stands).

It can be done but Parliament needs to make it a priority.
IP Logged

Yeah I get that. We just shouldn't be in this situation in the first place.

I might have to immigrate to the Netherlands, I do like the Dutch anyway Smile
IP Logged

Yeah I get that. We just shouldn't be in this situation in the first place.

I might have to immigrate to the Netherlands, I do like the Dutch anyway Smile

Since when do you speak Dutch?
IP Logged

Luckily they tend to speak great English over there.
IP Logged

On another news, researchers have found that Mexican dogs are far more happy than US dogs.
IP Logged

Hi All,

What I think we should be doing in this country is making it a legal requirement for people to make a living will, to state what they should want in A, B, or C circumstance, but doing so when they are in their right mind and in complete health. The problem now, as I see it, is that people with life changing medical issues, such as Tony Nicklinson, are approaching the law to be given permission, if you like, to be helped to die when they are already ill, and some would argue, perhaps unfairly, perhaps not, that their thinking is not necessarily clear. However, if something was recorded before a person is ill, say, for example, they decide that should they be diagnosed as terminally ill they would want no active treatment beyond that of keeping them pain free for as long as possible, then in a living will that was legally binding, that would be carried out, like a Do Not Resuscitate note in a persons medical records.

I have a few basic problems with the whole euthanasia issue. I can completely understand the argument that it is wrong in a civilsed society to allow people to die in pain and suffering. It isn't just wrong, in my book it is immoral, and whatever anyone says, completely unnecessary. However, I do think you have to look at the society we live in. The elderly are very often treated like dirt. Disabled people are still often patted on the head by a society that thinks everyone is equal, and often assumed to be purely recipients of care, with 'care needs', rather than as living, breathing, rational, intelligent people. My problem with the whole euthanasia issue is that where do you draw the line? Is at at your gran who requires help to cook her meals, or needs regular visits to make sure she is still alive and well, but you live fifty miles away and you've got a family to see to. Or is it your disabled friend who gets around in a wheelchair quite well thanks, has got herself an education and does a lot of stuff everyone else does, but people tend to think her life is meaningless because she can't walk?

Those are extreme examples, I know that. But the point is valid. We do live in a society, certainly in the UK, that sees anyone elderly as basically a nuisance, or a burden, and anyone with a disability as someone with care needs that other people have to attend to, irrespective of how independent the disabled person might actually be.

I looked after my mother with a form of dementia for two and a half years after the sudden death of my father. I watched a strong, independent woman become not much more than a frightened child. On top of her dementia she had a number of health issues, including insulin dependent diabetes. She was sad, had very little real quality of life without my father, and her health was not great. Did I sometimes wish for her sake, not mine, that she would go to bed one night and not wake up in the morning? If I'm honest, yes. Could I have 'accidentally' given her too much insulin one day, or got her other medications just a bit wrong, or could I have gone along with her looking at me and asking me to help her along her way back to my father? Most definitely not. When in 2004 my mother suffered the heart attack that five days later killed her, we made the decision as a family that in the event of her having a cardiac arrest it would be wrong to have her brought back. To this day I am comfortable with the decision we made.

I am also disabled myself. I have a birth defect called Spina Bifida, which basically means, in my case, I'm paralysed from the waist down and use a wheelchair all of the time. As far as I'm concerned it's fine. I get on, I do things. I live my life.

The problem that I have with euthanasia is that in our society we judge others quality of life, and sometimes make them feel, however unintentionally, worthless. I am convinced this is what makes a lot of people with conditions that do require a lot of input from others feel like a burden whose life has no meaning, and that consequently they would be better off dead. My own mother often said to me that she thought she was a nuisance to me. My response was, 'You're a nuisance when I tell you you are, all right? Until that time you're my Mum.' I will never forget seeing the worry disappear out of her eyes.

My other big fear is that the decisions that affect my life might one day be taken out of my hands, should I become so ill that I can not take of myself. It is unlikely in my case, but not unheard of. Could someone decide for me that my life has no purpose? Could they decide that I would be better off out of it? Could they decide that the small level of outside support I do receive costs too much for the state to help with (not pay for entirely I might add) and decide to 'cut costs'. Legalise euthanasia without safeguards and you risk that happening.

What we should be doing is enshrining living wills within law. We should also consider authorising certain doctors or some other form of medical expert, to carry out legal assisted suicide, but only after the person wishing to go down that road has gone through some form of counselling, to ensure that it is what they really want. The other thing we should do, particularly for those suffering with conditions such as cancer that is terminal, is make sure that palliative care (end of life) is as good as it can be, so that no one need fear dying in pain in the first place.
IP Logged

Good posting TJ.    Lots of good and interesting points but I always have trouble with the thought that to go down the road with euthanasia could take me somewhere

I don't want to go.     To say someone has no quality of life diminishes other people in roughly similar circumstances and who knows how it would affect them.    And no

doubt the medical profession would want safeguards for themselves - some would find it very difficult to end someone's life as it goes against their basic training

and instincts which should be to save lives. 
IP Logged

Luckily they tend to speak great English over there.
Where as if we try to speak their language , it sounds double Dutch.
IP Logged

Anyone seen the picture of Richard and Judy floating about the Internet? shocking roflmao

It's fake - phew.
IP Logged

The Prince Harry ones are not, however.
IP Logged

Glad he is a normal person.
IP Logged

Okay not his wisest decision ever, but then again he should be allowed to be normal and that's no worse than I'm sure many get up to on weekends in vegas lol only difference is that he's seen as 'newsworthy' enough for someone to exploit and make a quick buck selling the photos Rolling Eyes

What pisses me off is they 'why does he have to blow off steam? he doesn't work, just a toy soldier' People saying that they have no respect for him as a soldier as he doesn't go on the front line- no he's only had 2 stints in Afghanistan and due to be there again before the end of the year! Obviously more carefully planned than most soldiers stint's but for the other troops sakes as much as his, imagine how much attacks on British troops and vehicles would rise if they knew he was there! 
IP Logged

And who cares?  Once you've seen one set of 'crown jewels', you've seen them all Whistle
IP Logged

The more such pictures the better. The sooner we have a republic the better.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 475 476 477 [478] 479 480 481 ... 821 Reply