MurraysWorld  >  Chit Chat  >  Scottish politics
Poll
 If the referendum were held now, how would you vote?
YES to independence
NO to independence
Don't know

Pages: 1 ... 469 470 471 [472] 473 474 475 ... 527 Reply

Scottish politics

Yes I do think he sang it in the run up to the 2014 referendum.  Are you going to listen to it a few more times?

I don't know if you ever look at the song titles thread (which is in the playground) but there's a Sydney Devine song there too.
I don't think so.  As for the song titles thread I've never gone back and looked at earlier songs, but I might look some of his ones up on YouTube.
IP Logged

SNP troubles...

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/scotland/2021/02/joanna-cherry-s-diary-why-i-was-sacked-coming-out-gay-aids-pandemic-and

Indy movement troubles...

'Here are some of the matters that have yet to be agreed between the party and the Yes movement and that are the source of bitter internal (and spikily public) dispute: the timing of a referendum; whether and how, if a referendum is blocked by Westminster, to prosecute an alternative path – through the courts, the ballot box, or even an unauthorised wildcat vote; the currency an independent Scotland should use; the new state’s economic policy; the position on accepting a share of UK debt; whether to rejoin the EU; whether Sturgeon continues to be the right leader; the manner in which the SNP is being run; the continued role of Sturgeon’s husband Peter Murrell as party chief executive; whether Alex Salmond has been the victim of a conspiracy organised by the leadership. There’s more, including the thorny debate over trans rights and self-identification, but that’s quite enough to get the picture.'

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/scotland/2021/02/leader-end-affair

[ Last edit by althusser February 15, 2021, 01:09 pm ] IP Logged

The Holyrood committee investigating the Scottish government’s handling of sexual harassment allegations against Alex Salmond has repeated its invitation to the former first minister to give evidence next week despite another narrow vote not to publish key evidence submitted by him.

After a lengthy meeting late on Wednesday, the committee resolved that last week’s court ruling had “no impact” on its decision not to publish evidence that Salmond says is an essential part of his case alleging that Nicola Sturgeon broke the ministerial code.

But Salmond refused to attend the inquiry last week after the committee reached crisis point, splitting 5-4 along party lines over publication.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/feb/17/alex-salmond-invited-again-to-give-evidence-to-holyrood-committee
IP Logged

I don’t know if you saw Ian Murray speak very powerfully about this on question time. It’s not about what Nicola knew and when. Nobody really cares and  Salmond was her friend and mentor after all for many years. It would have been very hard for her. The real issue is why the SNP spent half a million on a pointless court action and thousands more on “ coaching” witnesses to an official enquiry. I think that takes some explaining while simultaneously closing vital community health centres like the Eye Pavilion. I voted Yes in 2014 because I thought SNP were competent, would deliver social justice and  bin Trident. The debate was civilised intelligent and based on actual policies. Somewhere along the way thereafter SNP became arrogant and forgot those “people of Scotland” they are always banging on about. The narcissistic lure of Twitter “ followers” representing a tiny percentage of Scots.  Ian Blackford. Report after report stating independence  will visit financial ruin on future generations . The worst education figures, highest drug deaths, etc etc . It’s just heartbreaking what they have done to our country and once the daily covid propaganda stops they will get hammered in the polls by the people of Scotland.
IP Logged

^ Wow that's quite a rant!  I didn't hear Ian Murray (thankfully) but he's an arrogant, self-opinionated individual, even if he does work hard for his constituents, of whom I happen to be one.  He's always been vehemently anti-SNP and independence anyway so nothing new there.

As for 'covid propaganda', have you listened to the almost daily lies and scaremongering that comes out of the mouths of Boris and Matt, not to mention their constant dithering about when the lockdown restrictions can be lifted?  At least Sturgeon tells it as it is and when she makes a decision about lifting restrictions she sticks to it.

As for the SNP getting 'hammered in the polls by the people of Scotland', God help this country if the Tories or Labour get in charge, something which is very unlikely because at best they'd have to form a coalition with the SNP (I think we can safely remove the LibDems from the picture unless a voting miracle occurs).  The SNP does have its faults, I agree, but I still prefer them any day to the other parties.  However, having decided after careful consideration to vote Yes in 2014, I would definitely vote No in another IndyRef because I no longer think it's the best way forward for Scotland given how much things have changed for the UK since then.

PS - Can you provide proof that witnesses who appeared in the inquiry were 'coached' because that is quite a serious allegation?

Also FYI the Eye Pavilion has not closed despite being in a dilapidated state, and the reason that the Scottish govt withheld the £83m needed to build a new one beside the Royal Infirmary at Little France is because, and I quote from The Scotsman -

“NHS Lothian’s business case for a new eye hospital was rejected due to concerns with its proposed service model, which did not recognise that the way eye care services are delivered is changing and improving with more being carried out in the community, closer to patients and with appropriate use of new technology.

“That’s why we [the Scottish Govt] asked NHS Lothian to carry out a review of their eye care services as a whole and reconsider how they should be delivered and what they can do with their existing buildings and the new elective care centre at Livingston. We await their recommendations and proposals.

All of which makes perfect sense to me.
[ Last edit by Aileen February 20, 2021, 01:12 pm ] IP Logged

Scottish govt spent or rather you and I spent £54000 on preparing civil servants for the Salmond enquiry. This is verifiably true and widely reported. I don’t think it is very progressive to expect pensioners to travel 20 miles to Livingston  for their weekly eye drops.
Ask why the Scottish health secretary is resigning before the election and consider the  many highly paid health related consultancies she holds. Nicola has done more or less the same on covid as Boris and our figures (Scotland) are among the worst in Europe. Had we followed Nicolas recent advice to work with EU to get vaccine we would not have one. Asked about the issues for Scottish voters in the forthcoming election she said it was simply a question of whether we want her or Boris to protect us from Covid. i would have thought personality
politics should be pretty low down the list of priorities for a responsible government. Lastly I have not been on this forum for a while but remember now  why I left. I think it is  discourteous to refer to a sincere contribution as a “rant”.
IP Logged

^   One woman's "sincere contribution" is another woman's "rant".    Possibly because it sounds like a contribution to the Daily Express.
IP Logged

Scottish govt spent or rather you and I spent £54000 on preparing civil servants for the Salmond enquiry. This is verifiably true and widely reported. I don’t think it is very progressive to expect pensioners to travel 20 miles to Livingston  for their weekly eye drops.
Ask why the Scottish health secretary is resigning before the election and consider the  many highly paid health related consultancies she holds. Nicola has done more or less the same on covid as Boris and our figures (Scotland) are among the worst in Europe. Had we followed Nicolas recent advice to work with EU to get vaccine we would not have one. Asked about the issues for Scottish voters in the forthcoming election she said it was simply a question of whether we want her or Boris to protect us from Covid. i would have thought personality
politics should be pretty low down the list of priorities for a responsible government. Lastly I have not been on this forum for a while but remember now  why I left. I think it is  discourteous to refer to a sincere contribution as a “rant”.

I don't live in Scotland but it isn't right that anyone, whether pensioners or not, to have to travel 20 miles every week to have their eye drops put in.  Do they travel by public transport?  & if so do they have free transport?  If they use their own cars, travelling 20 miles every week would be expensive over a year.  I suppose they might have transport covered by the NHS?  But transport through the NHS is unreliable, it does work but often you have to wait for an hour or even longer before being able to go home.
I hope you'll decide to come back because your post is interesting.
IP Logged

I don't live in Scotland but it isn't right that anyone, whether pensioners or not, to have to travel 20 miles every week to have their eye drops put in.  Do they travel by public transport?  & if so do they have free transport?  If they use their own cars, travelling 20 miles every week would be expensive over a year.  I suppose they might have transport covered by the NHS?  But transport through the NHS is unreliable, it does work but often you have to wait for an hour or even longer before being able to go home.
I hope you'll decide to come back because your post is interesting.
Moonglow - the Eye Pavilion in Edinburgh is NOT closing down although it will have to be replaced at some point.  The whole idea now is to make some of the services it offers more easily available to the wider community so that they WON'T have to travel far to get treatment.  As for the nonsense about people travelling 20 miles to get eyedrops put in - these can be prescribed by a GP so that you can put them in at home.
IP Logged

^   One woman's "sincere contribution" is another woman's "rant".    Possibly because it sounds like a contribution to the Daily Express.
Thanks. I have never read that paper so your nasty wee swipe is lost on me. My opinions tend to come from reading the facts including distressed letters to Scotsman from pensioners about the removal of eye care treatments out of Edinburgh.
IP Logged

My opinions tend to come from reading the facts including distressed letters to Scotsman from pensioners about the removal of eye care treatments out of Edinburgh.
I've told you twice already that the Eye Pavilion is NOT closed, but that talks are ongoing between NHS Lothian and the Scottish Govt with a view to building a new one in Edinburgh, possibly at Little France beside the Royal Infirmary, as well as providing more top level eye care in the community, something which would make things easier for these 'distressed pensioners' (and yes, I've read their moaning letters in The Scotsman too!).  In short, they're the ones who should be looking carefully at the facts before firing off letters of complaint.

Unfortunately it looks as though the whole thing could now become an election issue.
[ Last edit by Aileen February 21, 2021, 10:14 am ] IP Logged

Moonglow - the Eye Pavilion in Edinburgh is NOT closing down although it will have to be replaced at some point.  The whole idea now is to make some of the services it offers more easily available to the wider community so that they WON'T have to travel far to get treatment.  As for the nonsense about people travelling 20 miles to get eyedrops put in - these can be prescribed by a GP so that you can put them in at home.

Ok good it isn't closing down.  I didn't think people would have to travel all that way to have their drops put in, and usually they can be safely put in at home yourself.
IP Logged

Ok good it isn't closing down.  I didn't think people would have to travel all that way to have their drops put in, and usually they can be safely put in at home yourself.
Or by their carers if they have one.  Mind you it is rather pathetic that a hospital - or to give it its proper name, the Princess Alexandra Eye Pavilion - which was opened in 1969 is now in such a state of disrepair that it's needing to be replaced.

Anyway I just don't understand the fuss if top level care will at some point in the near future also be dispersed within the community, thereby making it EASIER for people to access it!
IP Logged

Thanks. I have never read that paper so your nasty wee swipe is lost on me. My opinions tend to come from reading the facts including distressed letters to Scotsman from pensioners about the removal of eye care treatments out of Edinburgh.

I don't read it either but on Microsoft the first few words of a headline pop up.   "Sturgeon shamed" was yesterday or the day before.     At the moment there is one more or less every day and they are always similar random attack style.    It was the style I recognised.
IP Logged

Yes, the slightest thing seems to be highly inflated by tory supporters to have a reason to have a go at Nicola Sturgeon that seems to be par for the course anything to run down the SNP.

I would think it more appropriate to have a good look at Boris and his cronies and look at the balls-up they have made in trying to control this virus. He just can't stick to one option it changes frequently obviously his fellow tories are unhappy that he is not sending people back to work.

The fact is that now all the facts about the purchase of PPE are coming out, contracts were given to his cronies without tenders and so on. It stinks that this has been allowed by this tory government why has there not been some enquiries about this. It is shocking that this has been allowed, there should be an enquiry made about this wasting of public money but I suppose this will be swept under the table.

Also, the facts are now coming out about a unit that has been formed by Boris to spread false information about the SNP and its policies in Scotland apparently the head of this unit resigned after 2 weeks. He was a Scot so now there are no Scots in this unit now says it all doesn't it.
[ Last edit by Littlebuddha February 21, 2021, 02:01 pm ] IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 469 470 471 [472] 473 474 475 ... 527 Reply