MurraysWorld  >  Chit Chat  >  The future of British politics
Pages: 1 ... 894 895 896 [897] 898 899 900 ... 905 Reply

The future of British politics

I think it unlikely that the party will change leaders before an election, absent any external development.

There isn't a reason for them to change leaders?
IP Logged

I think it unlikely that the party will change leaders before an election, absent any external development. It might not matter if the Tories select a loon to replace Johnson, but if they select someone sensible, it could be the difference between a majority and a hung parliament with some god awful SNP/LAB/PC/LD coalition.

Have just noticed you edited your post !
IP Logged

Labour tend to be loyal to leaders, often too loyal and it costs them.
IP Logged

^  were they loyal to Jeremy Corbyn? I can't remember
IP Logged

yes, the membership was insanely loyal. At least the Tory Party has rules that mean MP's can permanently depose a leader without the membership getting involved.
IP Logged

An Opinium poll for Channel 4 News shows Rishi Sunak is the most popular choice to be the next leader among Conservative party members.  The poll puts Sunak on 25%, just ahead of the foreign secretary, Liz Truss, on 21%, with the defence secretary, Ben Wallace, at 12%.

Meanwhile Sunak hasn't wasted any time in launching his campaign - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-62099272
IP Logged

'Ready for Rishi' like he's someone people are pining for, I'm worried about the quality of his PR team if that lameness is the best they can come up with. I doubt many care about him in the slightest he is a boring but obvious choice still. He's lucky nobody else running is rivetting much either so it might not weigh too much against him. He would have been a shoe in without the tax scandal happening.

Starmer vs Rishi would be the most boring election on record. Perhaps that's a good thing though.
IP Logged

I think after the calamity of the "exciting" May/Corbyn/Johnson times, "boring" isn't to be sniffed. Boring without a plan, on the other hand...
IP Logged

'Ready for Rishi' like he's someone people are pining for, I'm worried about the quality of his PR team if that lameness is the best they can come up with. I doubt many care about him in the slightest he is a boring but obvious choice still. He's lucky nobody else running is rivetting much either so it might not weigh too much against him. He would have been a shoe in without the tax scandal happening.
Well I'm not pining for him and nor am I all that impressed with his video because I'm not sure that plugging the immigration line is the best way of going about things.  It would probably get the vote of ethnic minorities should they choose to vote Tory but on the other hand there are many in the UK who would prefer to see immigration severely curtailed.
IP Logged

Wallace out, Sunak making the running. But of course the early frontrunner usually comes a cropper.
IP Logged

Penny Mordaunt is probably by far the best choice for the Tory's but I don't know if they're smart enough to go for her. I think she'll get the biggest pull from potential Labour voters as she's called out Boris on Party Gate and is likely to be seen as more ethical and also who would be considered the most interesting and attractive out of the bunch. She's advocated for assisted suicide, more IVF funding, tackling loneliness and poverty and said things like "Transgender women are women". Being a white British born female will help her chances with the racist voters and female voters also.

I think she will get plenty of backing by MPs but when it's put to the party membership I think she would struggle being up against Rishi. She looks fine in a multi-way vote but in a head to head I imagine she'll struggle greatly as I don't think she really fits with the typical Tory electorate because of those previously mentioned views, even though she strongly backed Brexit and defence measures and her economic views and most other views are typical Tory.
IP Logged

I think you are making the mistake of assuming Labour voters are some sort of monolithic block. They aren't. The red wall voters the Tories won in 2019 are generally very socially conservative, but quite left economically. Quite different from the metropolitan folks with highly liberal social views.
IP Logged

True, and that's one of the factors that makes regaining power so difficult for them. Not easy to conjure a platform that enough groups can get behind.
IP Logged

Mordaunt video.

Strangely 'tourist board' in visuals, but with a (probably) wise focus on personal integrity. Better to run with this than the banal tax cuts banter etc.
IP Logged

Yes if she was running in an election. But a majority of Tory members still probably care more about lower taxes than much else and they're the ones she will have to ultimately win over.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 894 895 896 [897] 898 899 900 ... 905 Reply