MurraysWorld  >  Chit Chat  >  The future of British politics
Pages: 1 ... 247 248 249 [250] 251 252 253 ... 907 Reply

The future of British politics

Because sentimentality about the queen doesn't really fit with an independent Scotland.
You 're right, but the role of the monarch, which is probably least supported in Scotland than any part of the UK, is not really important in the debate about independence.
IP Logged

That's something measurable, yeah?

As such, I'm curious to know how the various opinion polls and the likes lead to that conclusion? Surely it was stronger around the time of the referendum and just afterwards?

Just curious really. I can't see the evidence of this at all.
In a word, Brexit.  Unless May can really pull something out of the hat on access to the single market, and avoid naked contempt for the devolution settlement in the Great Repeal Bill then Indyref 2 will be back on rocket boosters for those who recognise that it's the economy stupid.
IP Logged

My what? That's a stretch.
IP Logged

In a word, Brexit.  Unless May can really pull something out of the hat on access to the single market, and avoid naked contempt for the devolution settlement in the Great Repeal Bill then Indyref 2 will be back on rocket boosters for those who recognise that it's the economy stupid.

Nah. All of the arguments that make Brexit a stupid idea are magnified by independence.
IP Logged

@ boogers.  You should have said UK not rUK.    Is that so hard to understand?
IP Logged

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/sep/06/jacob-rees-mogg-opposed-to-gay-marriage-and-abortion-even-after
This man is, apparently, a Tory contender for the leadership  Rolling Eyes  The acceptable face of bigotry?
IP Logged

You 're right, but the role of the monarch, which is probably least supported in Scotland than any part of the UK, is not really important in the debate about independence.
It will be very interesting to see when/if lol, she dies. The loyalty is to her, tho, God help us, William and Kate seem mighty popular.
Mention "Queen Camilla" to Royalists and see them bristle!
IP Logged

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/sep/06/jacob-rees-mogg-opposed-to-gay-marriage-and-abortion-even-after
This man is, apparently, a Tory contender for the leadership  Rolling Eyes  The acceptable face of bigotry?

In response to Corbyn's elevation the Tories have been running focus groups:

' a lot of these people seem to want.... 'authenticity'? 'authenticity'!

where do we buy ourselves some of that then?

er, seemingly you can't, you just have to have it - something about values, character, weird!

we're screwed then - wait though.. I've thought of someone!!!'
IP Logged

Thankfully, this is a view so out of touch that it won't make anything more than headlines. That will never be policy.

And if he was given the Tory Leadership, it would cost them a fair amount of votes.
IP Logged

In a word, Brexit.  Unless May can really pull something out of the hat on access to the single market, and avoid naked contempt for the devolution settlement in the Great Repeal Bill then Indyref 2 will be back on rocket boosters for those who recognise that it's the economy stupid.

But how does independence answer any of the economy questions? I get that many feel Scotland is being ignored here (not a sentiment I agree with, but I can see why it's felt), but if Brexit ends up going as horribly as expected, an Independent Scotland will be even further from a reality because of finances.

I can't see where the support you're suggesting comes from?
IP Logged

Rees Mogg's views are unpleasant (though at least he has the balls to vocalise them unlike Farron) but there's zero chance of him winning a leadership contents.

Mind you, I said the same about Corbyn who has equally unpleasant views. So what do I know?
IP Logged

Went to hear Corbyn at Edinburgh Fringe. He came across as very pleased with himself, very slippery and very evasive. When asked about whether private schools created social inequality he said there was nothing could be done about private schools which would always exist. Given this is a man who is supposed to champion the poor I was taken aback at his answers. He talked about his own school which was very exclusive apparently full of pheasant shooters and he had several self indulgent gap years before having to support himself. An unlikely class warrior and a bit of a fraud I thought. He can't help his background I suppose . He was interviewed by a comedian who was overheard saying afterwards " he is just a politician like all the rest " .
IP Logged

Went to hear Corbyn at Edinburgh Fringe. He came across as very pleased with himself, very slippery and very evasive. When asked about whether private schools created social inequality he said there was nothing could be done about private schools which would always exist.
That seems a pretty direct answer.
IP Logged

I suppose it was but it disappointed because the two tier education system is one of the biggest obstacles to a fairer more equal society such as he says he wants. 
IP Logged

The two tier system will always exist so long as there are people around who have enough money to pay for their children's education if they wish to do so.  Also not all private schools are snob establishments, something I can vouch for having been educated at one myself, and by the same token there are a lot of excellent state schools around where pupils have a high achievement level and whose pupils come from so-called middle class (hate the use of this word!) families.  In other words 'private' doesn't necessarily mean 'good', although some parents mistakenly think they'll work wonders for their not too bright children, and neither does 'state' necessarily mean 'poor'.
[ Last edit by Aileen September 11, 2017, 01:20 am ] IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 247 248 249 [250] 251 252 253 ... 907 Reply