MurraysWorld  >  Chit Chat  >  The future of British politics
Pages: 1 ... 830 831 832 [833] 834 835 Reply

The future of British politics

I know it will not be easy but it will be us who will be making our own decisions not London we will be free to rejoin our friends in Europe.

Scotland has had good relations with Europe for many centuries and been involved in many European projects and many students have come to Scotland to attend our universities hopefully that will begin again.

Hopefully, we will be able to participate in the many projects within the EU like we do now but will end when the UK leaves the EU. The English are the foolish ones they will end up isolated and alone and perhaps Johnson will become regret becoming under the thum of Trump that is if he is returned to power.
IP Logged

I know it will not be easy

Ok, sure. The question then is WHO will pay the price of the hardship and whether it is really worth it - thats why the questions which Boogs is posing are very important. Need to be careful that others don't suffer the  unintended consequences of your dream.

IP Logged

Ok, sure. The question then is WHO will pay the price of the hardship and whether it is really worth it - thats why the questions which Boogs is posing are very important. Need to be careful that others don't suffer the  unintended consequences of your dream.

Good posting!

IP Logged

It is not a dream Althusser we are an old country we have a long history. Also perhaps you forget we have our own culture and we have contributed a lot to the world in literature, Science, Medicine, Invention. There are many other people in Scotland who have the same outlook as myself. We get the usual comments too small, too poor etcetera it will be up to the people of Scotland to decide whether they want to bee free to make our own decision and not made by people outwith Scotland.

All you have to do is look at Westminister were our MP,s are too small in number and are totally ignored by the present Tory government in fact they are wasting their time being there. Plus the present Tory government pays no attention to the wishes of the Scottish people. Can you deny it ? I don't think you can. It is the same for the Welsh and the Irish. We will never be heard so if we are not wanted and cant be heard what is the point of remaining.

Also, you trivialise the fact that many others like me hold the same opinions. It was obvious that we had no chance of winning the remain or leave referendum yes the majority of Scots voted to remain many English did as well but not enough.

Do the English not realise that they could be in difficulty too or is it all Land of Hope and Glory I think there will be a lot of problems there too. They will have to find new markets and make trade agreements with for instance the USA. Are they going to eat chlorinated chicken and cattle fed steroids.? They should think long and hard what they are getting into. So they will have a lot of problems too.

I am more optimistic I and many Scots have made the decision that we will be better off leaving the UK better to have friends within Europe where there are a few small countries who manage perfectly well within the EU. I am not a pessimist I look forward to being an independent country who will thrive within the EU.

The way the UK is going does not look good you have a PM who is an idiot gutless, stupid and cannot be trusted and is reluctant to take any responsibility and likes to pass the buck to others.

I know who I will vote for and it won't be Tory, Labour or Liberals. We are extremely lucky to have a competent First Minister who leaves doopy Boris standing still.

Last, of all have you forgotten that we still have oil and gas or has that been conveniently forgotten also Scotland has many science base industries we are not a stupid nation I think we have the education and the knowledge to look forward to a brighter future.

IP Logged

That doesn't seem to answer:

The question then is WHO will pay the price of the hardship and whether it is really worth it

Also, you complained before about austerity, yet independence would result in austerity literally multiples worse than the 2010-2020 period. To the extent that cancelling the entire Scottish state pension wouldn't be enough.

Also:

we still have oil and gas or has that been conveniently forgotten

This amuses me for two reasons. First, oil and gas is a net drain on the exchequer. There's absolutely no money to be made there. Secondly, the Scottish government has been saying big things about green policies. How on earth do you square that with a hydrocarbon economy?

We see the same problems with supporters of independence as with Brexiteers. Some (like you!) are blood and soil nationalists who simply hate the others. Others are fixated on odd notions of sovereignty. Neither group is willing to be honest with people about the costs and risks involved.

Ultimately, I'm a proponent of self determination. If an educated populace is appraised of the risks and benefits I'm all for it. But that's not what's happening here. In your case specifically, you seem to be quite happy to ruin the lives of millions of your fellow citizens simply because you hate the English. That's definitely something to reflect on.
IP Logged

We are never going to agree, I look forward to Scotland as a member of the EU. Not a Scotland isolated on a little island ruled by a far-right UK government that has a PM who is quite happy to do a deal with Trump who hopefully will not win in the USA election.

This UK government seem perfectly happy to ignore Scotland and its people. Like his flying visit to Orkney where he met a few fishermen. Then he went to visit an airbase.  Big deal he knows dam well the reception he would get if he visited Edinburgh,Glasgow or any big city in Scotland.

Whether you like it or not boogers he is irrelevant Scotland is going in a different direction. Your PM, is not liked in Scotland his manner towards Scotland and its people is terrible. Apparently we don't exist that's fine we don't like him anyway. He has no interest in Scotland and is only concerned with English matters.

You seem to be easily amused Scotland does not only have oil and gas. Wind power and new technology are being created to use. Did you forget the big Hydro Electric schemes that were created in the highlands.  You only see what you want to.

It is also very obvious that the English want to break up the UK apparently you don't see that so you only talk about the Scots. Stop it boogers your fellow countrymen want to break up the UK fine but don't criticise the Scots because we want to be an independent country where we make the decisions.

Oh, and by the way, I am only one Scot wanting to be an independent there are many others do you think we are all stupid?  Your Brexiteers are a fine example they have become louder and louder and are apparently very happy to break up the UK why don't you talk to them I am sure you will find many little Englanders there. Do you really think we Scots want to be ruled by them?

Really boogers do you think one person ie I am going to ruin the lives of millions that will take a lot of people who according to you are stupid.. Really you do go over the top my fellow Scots are the ones who will decide how they vote and it will be their decision not the English it's called democracy.

Bye the way boogers I don't hate the English I just don't like being ruled by them you might reflect on that.

IP Logged

It is not a dream Althusser we are an old country we have a long history. Also perhaps you forget we have our own culture and we have contributed a lot to the world in literature, Science, Medicine, Invention.

The Scottish Enlightenment yes - achieved whilst in the union of course. But your romanticised notion of Scottish history is in pretty bad taste, especially now - are you forgetting how much wealth was built on the slave trade? Inconvenient but true.

I am more optimistic

That is neither here nor there though  - the Brexiteers are optimistic too. Tangible answers are needed.
IP Logged

Please do not compare me to a Brexiter. You keep inferring that I am racist have a good look at our English friends who are openly racist. They are wanting to be rid of our European friends who seem to have been made the scapegoats for this whole disaster. Maybe they should look a lot closer to home perhaps in Westminister were our wonderful tory government presides.  As to your comment about the Enlightenment, I think your comment is pretty disgraceful are you inferring that Scotland is full of dullards I think not but then who are you to criticise. Do you think we Scots are all stupid the answer is no. We contribute a lot to the outside world and as far as I am concerned you comments are rubbish. If you do live in Scotland why? as you seem not to be very happy living here.

I am certainly not a Brexiter but the English are, I think I would be perfectly happy to see Scotland leave its wonderful union.  We would be happy to oblige.

If you remember the union was formed by the Scottish aristocracy for English gold in other words, not by the common people who rioted when they heard about it. 
Some of their lines will still exist and they still own large tracts of land in the highlands, unfortunately.

[ Last edit by Littlebuddha August 02, 2020, 08:34 pm ] IP Logged

Please do not compare me to a Brexiter.

You're exactly like a Brexiteer. You hate an Other, and blame it for everything that's wrong with your country. You make hilariously improbable promises based of flawed understanding of economics. You disbelieve anyone who actually knows the true cost of what you're proposing.

Brexiteer. You, in tartan.

You keep inferring that I am racist

You are quite obviously a racist. I'm quite certain the SNP would have expelled you if they knew about the posts you make on this forum.

have a good look at our English friends who are openly racist. They are wanting to be rid of our European friends who seem to have been made the scapegoats for this whole disaster.

Wrong. All of the constituent nations of the UK are about the same when it comes to attitudes to immigration. Indeed, there is some suggestion the Scotland is more racist than England.

You seem to be easily amused Scotland does not only have oil and gas. Wind power and new technology are being created to use. Did you forget the big Hydro Electric schemes that were created in the highlands.  You only see what you want to.

You brought up oil and gas. It featured heavily in the 2014 white paper (which was, admittedly, filled with lies made up by Salmond and co), and is now worthless in economic terms.

Really boogers do you think one person ie I am going to ruin the lives of millions that will take a lot of people who according to you are stupid

I didn't say that you, a single person, would. I said that you are seemingly quite happy about it. Millions of people impoverished, an entire generation of kids screwed over. But at least you don't have to talk to those bloody English, eh?
IP Logged

As to your comment about the Enlightenment, I think your comment is pretty disgraceful are you inferring that Scotland is full of dullards I think not but then who are you to criticise. Do you think we Scots are all stupid the answer is no. We contribute a lot to the outside world

?? lol - how is my acknowledging the Scottish Enlightenment inferring that?! Some of the greatest thinkers of all time (Hume is my favourite), hardly implying that the Scots are thickos. Mind you they all tended to have a strong preference for using reason and evidence, so i can see why you'd feel defensive.
IP Logged

You are quite obviously a racist. I'm quite certain the SNP would have expelled you if they knew about the posts you make on this forum.

I'm sure the SNP would never read any of the posts, written by anyone, on this forum.
IP Logged

Mind you they all tended to have a strong preference for using reason and evidence, so i can see why you'd feel defensive.

Smile lol
IP Logged

We are never going to agree

You're right, it often isn't possible to agree (does it matter)?
IP Logged

So boogers as usual everything I say you disagree with is so I don't see the point of even answering your posts but don't worry I will still post I wouldn't like you to think I agree with your very biased opinions. Apparently you don't like being challenged because you like to think you know it all.

Have you ever been to Scotland? Because if you hate us so much it would be a waste of time. Also, I think Althusser is perfectly capable of answering my posts but you seem to think everything is directed to your arrogant little self.

Moonglow it matters to me but then again you will have seen the boogers likes to think every post is directed to him they are not he takes it on himself to think that he speaks for everyone on MW he certainly does not.

Also, he thinks if he bullies me enough I will stop posting he like to threaten anyone who he does not agree with him.

IP Logged

@ Althusser Yes I will defend my opinions on Scotlands past. We have had many great men who by their talents have left a legacy in our history. I do not have to be defensive about our past they have given so much to the world.

Scotland will continue to contribute to the wold in all the sciences and literature. I think that a small country like Scotland punches above its weight and will continue to do so.

Our young people have many talents so I think Scotland will have a bright future. They are our future that is why we should continue to be an outward-looking country and not insular like England.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 830 831 832 [833] 834 835 Reply