MurraysWorld  >  Archive: News  >  Del Potro sends Murray crashing
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 8 Reply

Del Potro sends Murray crashing

I'm with Lorna, DP to win even though Murray would drop down to #5.
IP Logged

I want DP to beat Fed in the final now. Serve him right!

Very Happy

Well with Andy out in A and Rafa out in B the players I want to support are thinning. I want someone from B to win...purely so it's not Federer (he already ends the year No.1 that should be enough) and I don't want it to be DP as it's all his fault and we'd get more comments about how the 20 year old did what the 22 year old couldn't Rolling Eyes
It would be great to see both them go out in the semi's...mean I know but Shrug
IP Logged

Soderling for me....
IP Logged

I'm with Lorna, DP to win even though Murray would drop down to #5.

Nope Soderling to kick ass and thrash them all Very Happy cmon yeah
IP Logged

I'll go Sod too, predicting a groin injury and dp retirement in final, assuming it brackets out that way
IP Logged

This is an absolute joke, just a scandal really. Not only is it ridiculously unfair on the players not knowing where they stand, the crowd haven't got a clue what's going on and who to support, but what's even worse is the whole thing was decided because Del Potro won 45 games and lost 43 games, while Andy Murray won 44 and lost 43. There is no way the difference in that is significant in any way, shape or form! What a bizarre and arbitrary deciding factor.

Also, Federer was in a position where he could decide which of his opponents went through with him to the next round. I'm not saying he fixed it by any means, but he had the power and that's not right.

This event should be a knock out tournament. It's what tennis is all about, not mathematics.

The round-robin format has it's problems. However, I'd much rather see my supported players play at least three matches. You've got to have a tiebreaker, and that's as good a way as any I suppose.
IP Logged

Federer's games won/lost were 44-40, with Del Potro 45-43 and Murray 44-43.
IP Logged

The round-robin format has it's problems. However, I'd much rather see my supported players play at least three matches. You've got to have a tiebreaker, and that's as good a way as any I suppose.

It's a shame and we'd probably be feeling sorry but relieved if it was the other way around.
I can't see Federer deliberately dropping a game to let it happen but it won't stop people talking rubbish. Shrug
IP Logged

If that happens, Murray is down to #5 and has little prospect of regaining #4 until the clay season.

Not really. Murray has a lot to gain at the AO.
IP Logged

From one perspective, these championships don't mean much.  When have you ever heard anyone talk about Pete Sampras' 5 titles.  Well, I did, but it was only two days ago.  I think this will be easy to forget a week from now.
IP Logged

Am I right in thinking that if Murray had just taken one more game in the three matches, he would have gone through? Why can't he do it when it really matters? I don't think I can watch him anymore - it's too disappointing. What's worse is that Andy doesn't seem to care. Chances are he drops to number 5 this year. Will he still be in the top ten this time next year?!?
IP Logged

Not really. Murray has a lot to gain at the AO.

Murray went one round less than Del Potro. Murray also has a Masters 1000 title and a final appearance to defend, plus a ATP500 win. Del Potro has a semi and a QF to defend.
IP Logged

Am I right in thinking that if Murray had just taken one more game in the three matches, he would have gone through? Why can't he do it when it really matters? I don't think I can watch him anymore - it's too disappointing. What's worse is that Andy doesn't seem to care. Chances are he drops to number 5 this year. Will he still be in the top ten this time next year?!?

Million dollar question. Who knows.
IP Logged

The way I'd do it is you'd have the top 8 players in the world. In the first round each player plays another twice according to rankings (1 plays 8, 2 plays 7, etc) and if it's tied at 1-1 they play a deciding set. Then the 4 winners do the same thing until we get to the one grand final (perhaps that could be a five setter). That would be far more exciting, fair, allow pretty much the same amount of  tennis and everyone would understand what's going on. I need to run this ATP.
IP Logged

Many of the folks here like Andy for more than his success, but for his artful playing style, strategy, assumed values, etc. , so hopefully there you will still stick around!  As for the top 10, i think even his 'below-avg.' performances here prove that he is, barring injury, at the very least in that echelon.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 8 Reply