MurraysWorld  >  Archive: News  >  Inspired Murray reaches French Open final
Pages: [1] 2 3 Reply

Inspired Murray reaches French Open final

Andy Murray produced one of the best claycourt performances of his career to beat defending champion Stan Wawrinka 6-4, 6-2, 4-6, 6-2 in the semi-finals of the French Open. He is the first British player since Bunny Austin in 1937 to reach the final at Roland Garros.

Murray was in sublime form throughout the contest, using all the variety in his game to mix up the play. Varying the height and pace of the ball, well-timed net approaches and excellent defence prevented the 31-year-old Swiss from ever truly feeling comfortable on court - he simply was unable to play his game.

* murray_wawrinka.png (565.7 KB. 750x523 - viewed 7996 times.)

Apart from a period at the very start of the match, Wawrinka's trademark ferocious groundstrokes failed to hit through Murray's remarkable defence as the world number 2 time and time again reached would-be winners and returned them with interest.

Wawrinka made a bright start, holding with ease and pressing Murray on return. But Murray was able to save a break point and survive the long game.

The momentum switched in the next game, a backhand error from the Swiss setting up two break points. The world number 2 broke following a well-constructed point at the net - drawing Wawrinka in with a dropshot and cutting off an attempted lob.

A double break looked likely, but the Swiss was able to hang on.

With Murray serving for the set at 5-4, the first major test of the match came - and a key moment in the contest as a whole. From set point down Wawrinka summoned some of his best tennis to create break points - three in total.

But each time Murray backed himself, finding good serves when it mattered the most. An excellent net approach gave him control of the point at deuce, and he took the set with another well-delivered serve.

In the second set, Murray again broke in the third game. With the Scot doing damage with his backhand, Wawrinka seemed to be running out of options - a misjudged dropshot yielding the break.

Another break beckoned at 3-1, a laser backhand down-the-line setting up a break point. Wawrinka initially cancelled out the danger with a gutsy forehand winner, but two backhand passes in a row gave Murray the security of a double break on his way to taking the set.

It looked like history might repeat again as the world number 2 carved out a break point in the third game of the third set.  But this time the Swiss put in a big serve and held with a perfectly struck backhand.

With time running out for the Swiss, he energised himself at 4-3, racing to the baseline and getting the crowd behind him. Murray held on this occasion, but Wawrinka's form was improving. At 5-4 from 40-15 up errors began to creep into the Scot's game. A misjudged forehand brought up a set point for the world number 4, and Murray netted his backhand to concede the set.

But losing the set turned out to only be a minor setback. Murray didn't lose heart for a moment and straight away got back to business - defending impeccably to keep making Wawrinka hit that extra shot. A wayward backhand put the Swiss in a 0-40 hole. Although he found his serve to save the first two break points, he missed a forehand long to put Murray ahead.

The world number 2 was firmly in control now and never let his focus slip. He earned the double break at 4-2 and duly served out the match with ease to reach his first final at Roland Garros - he has now reached the final of all four slams.

His opponent in Sunday's final will be world number 1 Novak Djokovic. Much has been spoken of Djokovic's continued quest for French Open glory. But if Murray is able to repeat today's form, perhaps it could yet be his year after all?

IP Logged

Probably the tactically best performance I've ever seen Andy produce at Grand Slam level. Certainly on clay.

Beyond words sublime.
IP Logged

Great report of a great match - thanks Katie.  Andy was indeed inspired and also inspiring.
I must admit when Andy struggled so hard to win his first service game I feared the worst.  But no, he turned things round brilliantly. And, even though it meant he was out on court a bit longer, the way he responded to the loss of the third set was one of the most impressive aspects of the win.
Out hit the big hitter but also brain won over brawn.  Just brilliant.  yay
IP Logged

Highlights anywhere? Itv are useless  Whistle
IP Logged

IP Logged

☝️yes! Cheers!
IP Logged

Fabulous - not long ago you could not really put Andy as top 5 on red. Now he is minimum no2 and....
IP Logged

Thanks ATL for the wonderful video replay. Great play from Andy.
IP Logged

What a bedraggled vulture he left gasping in the mud. Hope that puts paid to any more Big 5 bull nuts. However Sunday turns out, he can be proud of this tourney. But I believe in Andy as FO champion. He can go all the way.
IP Logged

Great report of a great match - thanks Katie.  Andy was indeed inspired and also inspiring.
I must admit when Andy struggled so hard to win his first service game I feared the worst.  But no, he turned things round brilliantly. And, even though it meant he was out on court a bit longer, the way he responded to the loss of the third set was one of the most impressive aspects of the win.
Out hit the big hitter but also brain won over brawn.  Just brilliant.  yay
Couldn't have put it better myself Ruthie. Smile

IP Logged

Beatuiful controlled aggression today.

Thanks Katie top class report !
IP Logged

Beatuiful controlled aggression today.

Thanks Katie top class report !
The first game was terrifying. Stan was so aggressive and blew Andy away. It was so wonderful the way Andy just calmly soaked it up then completely demolished his opponent playing the best tennis anyone has played in this tournament by a mile. Stan was clapping some of Andy's shots they were so good. Bit pathetic  of him to then back Novak for the final . If Andy plays like that again I think he is unbeatable. Amazing stuff.
IP Logged

The concurrent online record of 1770 took place during the USO final in 2012 when Andy won his first Slam. I wonder how close to that record we will get during tomorrow's final.  I am curious to see a plot of the concurrent online values of Andy's GS finals over the last 4 years to gauge the level of his support.
IP Logged

Really looking forward to the match tomorrow. Anyone know the actual time of kick off? Can't see it on the main RG website
IP Logged

Really looking forward to the match tomorrow. Anyone know the actual time of kick off? Can't see it on the main RG website

2pm local time 3pm BST. Will get the match thread info up later today.
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 Reply