MurraysWorld  >  Archive: News  >  Murray becomes world number one
Pages: [1] 2 3 Reply

Murray becomes world number one

Andy Murray will become the world number one on Monday, after semi-final opponent Milos Raonic withdrew with a tear to his quad, allowing the Scot direct passage to the Paris final.

Murray becomes the 26th man to top the tennis hierarchy since the official rankings began in 1973, and the second oldest at the age of 29 years and five months. The Brit also breaks the record for the longest time between becoming number two and becoming number one, having first risen to second in the world over seven years ago.

* MurrayParis.jpg (15.63 KB. 624x351 - viewed 5762 times.)

It caps an incredible year for the Scot, who became a father for the first time in February, before triumphs at Wimbledon and the Olympics etched his name further in the history books. Victories in Rome, Queens, Beijing, Shanghai and Vienna also contributed to a remarkable swing atop the tennis rankings, where Novak Djokovic led by over 8,000 points just five months ago.

A 22-match winning streak amidst that golden summer laid the foundations, and Murray continued to rack up the wins as Djokovic faltered, with Friday’s victory over Berdych taking him to a career-best 72 wins for the year. The Scot has a record of 55-4 since the start of the Madrid Open, the week he celebrated his 29th birthday.

Murray will now look to win his first Paris Masters title on Sunday when he takes on John Isner, who ended a 6-match losing streak to vanquish Marin Cilic in Saturday’s other semi-final. Murray has won on all seven previous occasions, most recently in the Vienna quarter final just one week ago.

IP Logged

Hurrah!
IP Logged

Petchey called it way back in July.

http://www.skysports.com/tennis/news/15538/10498210/andy-murray-can-target-novak-djokovic-after-wimbledon-victory
IP Logged

And after Wimbledon Andy reckoned his best was yet to come -

http://www.skysports.com/tennis/news/32498/10498110/andy-murray-feels-his-best-is-still-to-come-after-wimbledon-win
IP Logged

Federer has congratulated Andy as the 'new king'. Fair play!!
IP Logged

About bloody time, only been waiting 11 years for this!
IP Logged

For those who remember PseudoFed - and yes, he's still alive and kicking   Very Happy

Not Roger Federer ‏@PseudoFed  6 hours ago

"I and staff would like to make the congratulations to Andrew of the Murrays for something"
IP Logged

Smile

What is everyone drinking? I'm on Kronenburg
IP Logged

Cranberry juice in sparkling mineral water. lol
IP Logged

Smile
IP Logged

No words  yahooo
IP Logged

All Murrays critics have been silenced!
He's fought long and hard for this and I hope he enjoys every minute.
Congratulations!
IP Logged

I'm very confused about something. Maybe somebody could explain? I understand that there is the year long "race" of which Andy is now number one. But he is still behind in the rolling 52 weeks which has Djokovic head by some way still. So what happens on Jan 1st 2017? Who is number 1? The player who accumulated the most points in 2016 (currently Andy by a slim margin - hopefully increasing today) or the player who is ahead in the rolling 52 weeks. Confused.....
IP Logged

Check on Monday when rolling 52 weeks is even. Then it comes down to London for who reigns at year end. Andy may only have one week .
IP Logged

I'm very confused about something. Maybe somebody could explain? I understand that there is the year long "race" of which Andy is now number one. But he is still behind in the rolling 52 weeks which has Djokovic head by some way still. So what happens on Jan 1st 2017? Who is number 1? The player who accumulated the most points in 2016 (currently Andy by a slim margin - hopefully increasing today) or the player who is ahead in the rolling 52 weeks. Confused.....

On Monday 7th November the points in the 52 week rankings and the Race become the same. In the 52 week rankings the points from the previous year's WTF drop on Monday - Djokovic drops 1300 and Andy drops 200. Depending on how the calendar pans out the 52 week rankings become 50 or 51 week rankings before the WTF - basically they are YTD rankings which is what the Race is.

If you look at the Live Rankings website they have already dropped the WTF points and their numbers are correct at the moment.

Andy will get a minimum of two weeks at number one - week beginning 7th November and week beginning 14th November.
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 Reply