MurraysWorld  >  Archive: News  >  Murray eclipsed by Djokovic again
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Reply

Murray eclipsed by Djokovic again

In a week that saw a total eclipse of the sun in some parts of the world, Andy Murray was today left completely in the shade by Novak Djokovic. The Serb romped into the final of the BNP Paribas Indian Wells Masters with a comprehensive 6-2 6-3 victory.

* Indian Wells.jpg (41.31 KB. 624x351 - viewed 7046 times.)

At times, particularly in the first set, Murray looked completely in the dark about a workable strategy against the Serb.

The Scot began by reverting to the cat-and-mouse tactics of the pre-Lendl era, but a nervy double fault at 30-30 in his first service game was the catalyst for the first of three first-set breaks against the Brit.

With Djokovic toeing the baseline like a darts player on the oche and Murray scurrying around in the backcourt, the Scot was never in a position to penetrate and he fell to a 5-1 deficit.

The world number one faltered when serving out, but broke again with some exquisite shotmaking to seal the set. Murray had hit only two winners and won just 22% of his first serves.

Anyone looking for a Plan B from Murray in set two was initially going to be disappointed. The world number four persisted with his passive routine until he found himself in a 0-3-sized hole, when he at last began to pound his groundshots and force Djokovic onto the back foot.

At 1-3 down, Murray engineered two break points, but some clutch serving averted the danger. While the Scot was at last going to-to-toe with the eight-time slam winner, the early break was proving significant.

At 5-3, 40-30, Djokovic hit the last of many pinpoint approaches, Murray netted and the agony was over. It was a decent performance by the Serb but, in truth, Murray gave him a significant leg-up, landing only 47% of his first serves and hitting 29 unforced errors.

Djokovic’s stats were solid, but not staggering: he made good on 56% of first serves and racked up 27 unforced errors. Murray has now lost six matches in a row against his Serbian rival and a change of strategy must surely be long overdue.

[ Last edit by Grabcopy March 21, 2015, 08:29 pm ] IP Logged

Fair description of the match.  Tomorrow is another day.
IP Logged

Djokovic is unreal. His level seems to be getting higher. Iv always felt deep down Murray had a little more game.... Not now. Djokovic is the better player and that's that. Painful though it is.
IP Logged

Another meeting against Djokovic, another one sided spanking. I honestly can't see Murray ever beating Djokovic again, bar the Serb having a truly horrendous day.
IP Logged

Another meeting against Djokovic, another one sided spanking. I honestly can't see Murray ever beating Djokovic again, bar the Serb having a truly horrendous day.

Grass season - AM has the beating of him on a grass court
IP Logged

Thanks Nigel,glad it was you who wrote the report.
IP Logged

As I said in the other thread. The disappointing thing is that we have to go back to 2007 to find and other DJoko-Murray match with less games for Murray.
http://www.atpworldtour.com/Players/Head-To-Head.aspx?pId=D643&oId=MC10
IP Logged

All the last tournaments ended with an eclipse.  WTF, AO, Dubai, Rotterdam, now this one.
IP Logged

All the last tournaments ended with an eclipse.  WTF, AO, Dubai, Rotterdam, now this one.

Report headline police have arrived I see.
IP Logged

Fair report Nigel.  Disappointing match.  Although I wasn't realistically expecting Andy to win I had hoped for something better than this.  I still maintain though that Andy does NOT perform at his best in morning matches!  All that said though, I can only imagine how Andy must be feeling, and his body-language by the end of the match said it all.  Now he has a few days to mull things over with Amelie, who I thought looked pretty frustrated herself at times, before Miami begins.
IP Logged

Amelie needs to beat the shit out of him immediately! !!!!
IP Logged

As I said in the other thread. The disappointing thing is that we have to go back to 2007 to find and other DJoko-Murray match with less games for Murray.
http://www.atpworldtour.com/Players/Head-To-Head.aspx?pId=D643&oId=MC10
Strange - same tournament, also the semis, and the same score.  I don't know why you felt it necessary to draw attention to it though.
IP Logged

Amelie needs to beat the **** out of him immediately! !!!!

Don't think that's her style, but for what it is worth she looked pretty frustrated.
IP Logged

Don't think that's her style, but for what it is worth she looked pretty frustrated.

My heart bleeds
IP Logged

My heart bleeds

Not sure what the point of that comment is meant to be in reply to mine. But it was clear that his coach wasn't satisfied about what he was doing on court, and I'm certain that there will analysis and discussion between them about what he did/didn't do. Beating up him won't be part of it though, and why would it be? 
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Reply