MurraysWorld  >  Archive: News  >  Murray swats aside Marchenko
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Reply

Murray swats aside Marchenko

Good stuff, magic.

The atmosphere for Murray's match was incredible, absolutely barmy. I'd rather go to that than Wimbledon, any day of the week. Just watching the final game now.
IP Logged

Good stuff, magic.

The atmosphere for Murray's match was incredible, absolutely barmy. I'd rather go to that than Wimbledon, any day of the week. Just watching the final game now.

They love him. What is it with the morons in this country? I don't know a single English person IRL with an ounce of admiration for him.
IP Logged

The atmosphere was better than Wimbledon for Murray I agree, but I wouldn't say its because people in Britain don't like him as much. Think it boils down to old English reserve, the English are naturally very reserved, espically most of the people that go to wimbledon, they'll cheer loud but they won't go mad when Murray is just about to serve.
IP Logged

The thing I liked about this match was seeing Murray's composure whilst Marchenko was pulling faces, doing stupid fist-pumps after each point he won like he'd just won the match, and getting generally rattled.  Brilliant!
IP Logged

Yeah I think the best atmosphere Murray ever had at Wimby was the last bit of set 3 and the rest of the match v gasquet, and that first match under the roof that went very late v wawa.  I am sure I remember at match point v wawa the crowd was going absolutely nuts as Andy was about to serve, and he has this look on his face which is just classic.  I think we can be a bit harsh on the crowd at wimbledon.

For sure it did look a lot of fun that match v marchenko, kinda wish I had been there!
IP Logged

Aileen,   I didn't like those fist pumps after every point either. Yes, after a difficult game, for sure, but not after every point. . Of course, the horrible Lloyd kept saying what a marvellous attitude M. had! Bah! (Think I may be getting a bit obsessive about Lloyd, but he's on TV all the time, it seems)
Actually, I really like Petchey (spelling ?) he's so pro Andy it makes a wonderful change and I've seen him sticking up for Andy in interviews, so many times.
IP Logged
anon

andy is on centre court tomorrow. finally get to see his match on tv here in australia! you'd think that they'd have live streams for all matches especially in australia.
IP Logged

Well done Andy, good match. Potentially very tricky opponent. Andy did what he had to, i feel there is more to come, most if not all pundits thought andy won whilst playing in third gear. If that indeed was the case, then i can't wait for Andy to really step it up to top gear. That said we've been here before. The 2010 US Open. Excellent first two rounds from Andy, then disaster in the third round!! Lets not get ahead of ourselves, Andy will have to step it up a gear in his third round match. will he? I for one believe he will do it (mentally he's in a better place going into this third round contest). By way comparisons, his forthcoming third round match will also be a day time affair as was his match in the third round of the 2010 US Open...............we wait with baited breath.
IP Logged

They love him. What is it with the morons in this country? I don't know a single English person IRL with an ounce of admiration for him.
I'm very English and I love him to bits! Don't class us all in the same mould, if you please! Sad, walking about. argue fish lol whack no Not talking jumping-w00t
IP Logged
Caz

Psychological tennis.....Does this mean he'll be playing in the middle of the night tonigh? UK.
IP Logged

Psychological tennis.....Does this mean he'll be playing in the middle of the night tonigh? UK.

Hi Carole S. Yes, i believe that will be the case  nervous
IP Logged

I'm very English and I love him to bits! Don't class us all in the same mould, if you please! Sad, walking about. argue fish lol whack no Not talking jumping-w00t

I'm English too. Well, a bit German. I was generalising, obviously. There was much more affection for Henman when he was around.

I've always struggled with this one. Henman was a bit posh and the general public surely couldn't relate to him, yet he was universally popular. Murray, however, is much more the common man - he snarls and snaps and growls and swears. Yet this is precisely what people don't like about him.

I honestly believe that the UK public have such little exposure to tennis that they're massively dependent on soundbites, and those four words he uttered in 2006 will haunt him for the rest of his days. "Anyone who's playing England".

They'll probably put it on his bloody tombstone.
[ Last edit by Grabcopy January 21, 2011, 10:39 am ] IP Logged

I'm English too. Well, a bit German. I was generalising, obviously. There was much more affection for Henman when he was around.

I've always struggled with this one. Henman was a bit posh and the general public surely couldn't relate to him, yet he was universally popular. Murray, however, is much more the common man - he snarls and snaps and growls and swears. Yet this is precisely what people don't like about him.

I honestly believe that the UK public have such little exposure to tennis that they're massively dependent on soundbites, and those four words he uttered in 2006 will haunt him for the rest of his days. "Anyone who's playing England".

They'll probably put it on his bloody  tombstone.

Hi "Grabcopy", Well i'm English also and i personally don't subscribe to your theory. Its a hugely subjective and emotive topic. Trying to be as objective as possible, its down to personal taste. My theory is a little different to yours. Tim was liked because he came across as a nice person, although on court actually fairly dull and emotionless, his displays of emotion seemed almost contrived, whilst the opposite can be said of Andy. I believe the English public do not really relate to Andy, so never really get him like they got Tim. Andy is difficult, Obdurate driven and very intelligent, couple this with a wicked and dry sense of humour. Qualities that most English people do not get, our history and back ground pushing us always to be contrite and polite. I for one, saw exactly what Andy was referring to when he made those comments about English football in 2006! I think its time everyone moved on and actually embraced Andy for the role model he is. The young of our country should perhaps take a leaf out of his book. He's sacrificed a lot to get to where he is now. Andy for me anyway, your an inspiration and i get you completely........ hug
IP Logged

Hi "Grabcopy", Well i'm English also and i personally don't subscribe to your theory. Its a hugely subjective and emotive topic. Trying to be as objective as possible, its down to personal taste. My theory is a little different to yours. Tim was liked because he came across as a nice person, although on court actually fairly dull and emotionless, his displays of emotion seemed almost contrived, whilst the opposite can be said of Andy. I believe the English public do not really relate to Andy, so never really get him like they got Tim. Andy is difficult, Obdurate driven and very intelligent, couple this with a wicked and dry sense of humour. Qualities that most English people do not get, our history and back ground pushing us always to be contrite and polite. I for one, saw exactly what Andy was referring to when he made those comments about English football in 2006! I think its time everyone moved on and actually embraced Andy for the role model he is. The young of our country should perhaps take a leaf out of his book. He's sacrificed a lot to get to where he is now. Andy for me anyway, your an inspiration and i get you completely........ hug

Good posting!
IP Logged
Caz

Thanks for the response about Andy's next match Psychological tennis{my quote button is not working but Mark is on the case....bless him] and I agree with your remarks about Andy. Thank God for English people like you who 'get him'. I also think Grabcopy has a point too though, and wouldn't mind betting there are a few Scots around who don't 'get him' either and they probably will" put it on his bloody headstone"!
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Reply