MurraysWorld  >  Archive: News  >  Querrey defends his LA crown
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Reply

Querrey defends his LA crown

Aileen, you were calling the result 'DISASTROUS' and then continued to criticise Andy's lack of practice. You've changed your tune extremely quickly.

I've watched some shite performances, stayed up till 3AM for some of them when he was sinking without trace in early 2008, so don't call me a fairweather supporter. I really dislike when people sit on the uber fan high ground - if Andy is performing poorly, I'll be the first to say so, I'm not going to act like a sycophant and pretend that Andy Murray is ready to win a slam next month. He isn't on this evidence, he was very ordinary last night.

I don't expect perfection in every match, but it was hard to watch some of that yesterday, Andy was being outclassed by a guy with very little natural talent really, sad but true.

Whether it is a result of much gravitas is the million dollar question. It just would have been nice to see the trophy barren spell end and see a guy who thrives on confidence regain some of the stuff.
[ Last edit by Sir Panda August 02, 2010, 04:22 pm ] IP Logged

thank you finaly someone on andy's side people are always on the negative side.
Honestly, I don't really see the match like how some of you do.

Yes, I am dissapointed and I thought he should really have won at the 2nd set match points when he got them.  I also agreed that his attitude toward the end wasn't of any good. 

However, his 67% first serve in, was actually higher than what he produced before the final in the tournie.  Certainly that's not good enough from someone in the top ten, but at least there's tiny little improvement as he progressed.

Moreover, I don't really agree that the drop shots strategy was wrong.  I thought everytime when Andy did executed the drop shot well, Sam had trouble dealing with it.  So the problem there was whether Andy did executed well enough to cope with his tactic against Sam.

And as I've said in the other post, I believe his loss was definitely the result of too little practise beforehand, therefore he wasn't confident in his shots and kind of chocked at the big points.

Anyways, I'm just gonna hope that he'll work hard enough to sort out the problems he currently has.  cmon yeah
IP Logged

Andy has already said that he is concentrating on winning a GS this year.  If match practice is all that he is looking for when playing non GS then he is getting that, he has never stated that he wanted to win these matches, he is getting what he wants - imo.  Lets wait until after the US Open before having kittens about Andy and meantime let us all give him the support we can after all we are supposed to be his fans and supporters!
IP Logged

Andy has already said that he is concentrating on winning a GS this year.  If match practice is all that he is looking for when playing non GS then he is getting that, he has never stated that he wanted to win these matches, he is getting what he wants - imo.  Lets wait until after the US Open before having kittens about Andy and meantime let us all give him the support we can after all we are supposed to be his fans and supporters!
I hope you're right Iris but I'm right behind you re giving him support and remembering that we're his fans and supporters (at least most of us are though there's at least one amongst us who seems to go out of his way to put Andy down in aggressive terms at every opportunity)  Eyebrow raise..
IP Logged

Well here we are again, i'm not sure where to begin on this one, yes like Andy said the weeks been good, perhaps not for the reasons he stipulates, but then again who are we to fully understand what is really going on with Andy's game these days. I've said it before and i'll say it again........dealing with the mental side (as thats what i'm qualfied to talk about).

I conclude its not right yet and by this i mean, he appears to struggle mentally (fighting himself too much). From what i see when his mental side is under alot of pressure, be it from his opponents, the uncontrollable variables - like the weather for exampe, or simply his own frustrations with his own game, then he implodes. This also includes when he goes walk abouts mentally during his matches, he did this quite a few times in this tourney - loosing that semifinal second set to Lopez 1-6 having taken the first 6-0?

But we've been here before, his pre wimbledon form. No one would have bet on him reaching this tournies semifinal, but he did. He may just surprise us when he steps onto the courts at Flushing meadows just like he did at wimbledon this year. So when it comes to predicting andy's form, i for one have given up, although i'm starting to see a pattern, one which has become more pronounced this season, Andy appears to be peaking only for the GS's. This in itself is not a bad thing. Conversely, i believe Andy might want to revisit this concept and perhaps rethink it?

I applaud him for taking the bold step of wanting to change his current coaching setup, its a step in the right direction, who knows what results this decision will yield? Suffice to say the North American swing continues as does Andy. I wait with bated breath!

Andy's comments summed it up "I played reasonably well" I fear playing reasonably well in this modern era of mens tennis which currently has so much depth inside the top 100 let alone the top 10, may not cut it anymore, but then we are not Andy and anything could be possible where he is concerned, he's a bit of an enigma, and will always fascinate me. cmon yeah  cmon yeah  cmon yeah
[ Last edit by psychological tennis August 02, 2010, 06:24 pm ] IP Logged

Interesting point. I agree that Andy is focusing on the GS this year.  With his present style of play, Andy can get to the QF or SF at the USO. To go further, Andy will need to up his agression. I watched the first set yesterday and Andy played quite decent with good retrieving skill after being broken.  Sam was being very helpful in the first set especially the DF at set point.

Andy forehand was consistent but lacked power unlike Querry who can whack the ball really hard.  All in all not a bad week considering that Andy had 1 match point so the result may have gone the other way if he took his chance.  I wonder who can give Andy the advice on how to recognize the opportunity to attack and gain the decisive initiative.

Let's see what happens at the next 2 MS tournaments.  I think Andy will lose quite a lot of points but will regain some of them at the USO.
IP Logged

[I don't expect perfection in every match, but it was hard to watch some of that yesterday, Andy was being outclassed by a guy with very little natural talent really, sad but true.

Whether it is a result of much gravitas is the million dollar question. It just would have been nice to see the trophy barren spell end and see a guy who thrives on confidence regain some of the stuff.

[/quote]

The point that disappointed me the most was not that Andy lost to Querrey, but his manner of the defeat. No aggression; no desire; almost no interest in the preceedings.  He just took defeat from the jaws of victory!

The second set was appalling. Against Sam without 10% of Andy's talent, he llowed him to dictate the way the set, and thence the match was going to end. Andy shoulg have taken the set 6-4, or at worse 7-5.

Toronto, Cincinnati, USO forget them. Appearance in O2 in grave danger.
IP Logged

I'm normally never one to insult Andy in defeat but yesterday was easily the worst performance since before his wrist injury in 2007. Not for the first time this season he's lost from being match point up.

Too often he picked the wrong shot to hit when there was easier shots available that would have retained his advantage in rallies. His attempts at winners, particularly off the lob were frankly appalling and showed none of the tenacity I've long admired.

He is having doubts about his game, that was very evident, easy shots he would only half-commit on resulting in poor errors or mid-court shots for Querrey.

His doubts for me come from his lack of 2nd serve penetration. 90mph average, at best is very poor, particularly when guys playing 10 years ago like Henman could average 2nd serve around 100mph with the same level of kick and in many cases more kick.

100mph average 2nd serve speed with good kick is surely not beyond him, not when it was within Henman's compass and not when Andy's 1st serve is 5-8mph faster than Tim's.

IP Logged

I'm normally never one to insult Andy in defeat but yesterday was easily the worst performance since before his wrist injury in 2007. Not for the first time this season he's lost from being match point up.

Too often he picked the wrong shot to hit when there was easier shots available that would have retained his advantage in rallies. His attempts at winners, particularly off the lob were frankly appalling and showed none of the tenacity I've long admired.

He is having doubts about his game, that was very evident, easy shots he would only half-commit on resulting in poor errors or mid-court shots for Querrey.

His doubts for me come from his lack of 2nd serve penetration. 90mph average, at best is very poor, particularly when guys playing 10 years ago like Henman could average 2nd serve around 100mph with the same level of kick and in many cases more kick.

100mph average 2nd serve speed with good kick is surely not beyond him, not when it was within Henman's compass and not when Andy's 1st serve is 5-8mph faster than Tim's.

I respect your views on Andy's game greatly, and I'm glad to see you agree with me in saying last night was a very poor performance given the circumstances.
IP Logged
Geo

How many times this season has a lost tiebreak been crucial in the outcome of a match?  Answer 6.  Considering he has lost 11 matches that is an indication he has been found wanting under pressure on several occations.

Federer - 3rd set - AO
Tipsarevic -1st set - Dubai
Soderling -2nd set -Indian Wells
Fish - 3rd set - Queens
Nadal - 2nd set - Wimbledon
Querrey - 2nd set - Los Angeles

His tiebreak record is 5 out of 14 (36%) this year.   Compare that to last year where he won 13 out of 24 (54%) for the whole year.

Unless he can improve that record over the next 3 tournaments or start to play his very best Tennis again that the set will be over before it gets to 6-6, the ranking points will continue to be lost and he won't win any of the titles.
IP Logged

Yeah, that concerns me too. He has become a terrible tiebreak player.
IP Logged

Maybe Andy should play lots of tie-breakers during practice. Think
IP Logged

Aileen, you were calling the result 'DISASTROUS' and then continued to criticise Andy's lack of practice. You've changed your tune extremely quickly.

I've watched some shite performances, stayed up till 3AM for some of them when he was sinking without trace in early 2008, so don't call me a fairweather supporter. I really dislike when people sit on the uber fan high ground - if Andy is performing poorly, I'll be the first to say so, I'm not going to act like a sycophant and pretend that Andy Murray is ready to win a slam next month. He isn't on this evidence, he was very ordinary last night.

I don't expect perfection in every match, but it was hard to watch some of that yesterday, Andy was being outclassed by a guy with very little natural talent really, sad but true.

Andrew, I'm sorry, but you picked me up wrongly.

I have always respected your opinions, as I do those of most other seasoned MW "regulars", and I certainly was not having a go at your report.  The members I was referring to are the ones who pop up after Andy goes out of a tournament as a result of a poor performance with some totally negative comment, e.g. potential trollers.  There's a world of difference between that and constructive or realistic criticism.

I can assure you that I didn't enjoy this match any more than anyone else did, because I know what Andy is capable of, and, although I wasn't too surprised, given the circumstances surrounding this tournament, it still hurt to see him getting beaten by a player like Querrey.

If you read my first post again you'll see that I'm not an Andy "luvvie" and I actually said I was no longer expecting him to successfully defend his title in Toronto or win his first GS, i.e. the USO, this year.  I've always been one of Andy's biggest, but hopefully fairest, critics both here and on the old Teletext "Sportchat" page.  Why?  Because I actually CARE very much about him and desperately want him to achieve the highest goal possible.  If I didn't I would never have joined MW.

Also, Andrew, I'm not the sort of person who takes the moral, or uber fan, high ground.  That just simply isn't in my nature and I dislike people who do do it.

I reiterate that I very much regret that my comments were misinterpreted, and I apologise to you or anyone else on this forum to whom I may have inadvertently caused offence.

[ Last edit by Aileen August 03, 2010, 04:02 am ] IP Logged

How many times this season has a lost tiebreak been crucial in the outcome of a match?  Answer 6.  Considering he has lost 11 matches that is an indication he has been found wanting under pressure on several occations.

Federer - 3rd set - AO
Tipsarevic -1st set - Dubai
Soderling -2nd set -Indian Wells
Fish - 3rd set - Queens
Nadal - 2nd set - Wimbledon
Querrey - 2nd set - Los Angeles

His tiebreak record is 5 out of 14 (36%) this year.   Compare that to last year where he won 13 out of 24 (54%) for the whole year.

Unless he can improve that record over the next 3 tournaments or start to play his very best Tennis again that the set will be over before it gets to 6-6, the ranking points will continue to be lost and he won't win any of the titles.

Tennis mental hype at it's best...

Montreal 09 - Los Angles 10 : 61 matches played, 33 go to 5-5, 16-15 record, 54% chance of going to a 5-5 set in a match
Toronto 08 - Wimbledon 09 : 88 matches played, 66 go to 5-5, 47-19 record, 81% chance of going to a 5-5 set in a match, 11-12 record against the top 16 from 5-5

He executes better against all opposition, so he gets in trouble less often and so plays less tight sets against low hanging fruit and so appears to have a worse record in tight moments as a result.

He'll be fine.
IP Logged

Andy Murray's hopes of winning his first title of 2010 were dashed by home favourite Sam Querrey, who ran out a 5-7 7-6 6-3 victor this evening in a tense encounter.

Murray threw in an ultimately flat and disappointing performance, riddled with inconsistency, poor decision making and questionable tactics, three characteristics that have been unfortunately evident all week in Los Angeles.

Querrey was the first to break serve, but to his credit, Murray rallied well in the blazing heat and then showed mettle, to edge ahead and pinch the first set. However, there was no doubt that Querrey's inability to finish off short balls and overheads was costing him dearly. There was no significant penetration to Murray's groundstrokes, and the familiar, dreaded loopy forehands were rearing their ugly head. The sheer impotence of Querrey was deciding the match, instead of any sparkling tennis from the British number one.

Read more (272 words)
There was no change in tactics from either man, in set number two. Murray continued to pepper the service line with slow forehands, laced with topspin, which invited Querrey forward at any given opportunity. The Californian is not an agile athlete, compared to most of the mens tour, but his approach shots were so lethal that Murray was forced to hit passing shots from the gangways. Murray had his match point chance, but a prolonged rally ended in an error from the Scot's racquet, and it would be a error to rue later on. Querrey's error count and occasional flashes of defensive brilliance kept the set going to the tie-break, where, rather deservedly, the defending champion forged an early lead and staved Murray off to level the match.

The number one seed had been huffing and puffing in the tie-break, but seemed physically normal when the final set started. However, the momentum had swung to the giant American and an extremely lax service game gave him the opportunity he craved. A poor effort at a carved drop volley sealed the break and Querrey did not look back, defending his LA title ; the first man to do so since Andre Agassi in 2002.

It is hard to decipher what Murray will take from this week. There is no doubt the tournament was used solely to gather match practice, but such a timid, unassured display in the final was hardly a recipe for building confidence. The Brit heads across the continent to Toronto next, with the Canada - Cincinnati double header approaching, hoping to defend his title, much like his opponent did today.

Finally got a chance to read this, and you definitely have your finger on the pulse here Andrew.

George (author of Elizabeth Gwen) made me think the other day when he observed that there are many "Followers" as opposed to "Fans" on MW, and, sadly, I think I may have been in the "Followers" category for a while now, without realising it.  Really this is more to do with his attitude than his tennis.  I was so sorry to see the lack of eye contact with Querrey in the hand shake at the net - not very professional and terribly disappointing.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Reply