MurraysWorld  >  Playground  >  The Numbers Game
Pages: [1] Reply

The Numbers Game

Aileen was seeking a new forum game so I will give this a go, I just hope she likes maths  Eek Actually I'm going out on a limb here that anybody likes Maths : D

If anyone has ever seen the long running TV show 'Countdown' they will probably get the idea.

To make a new game for people to work out simply go to https://www.google.com then type in a sum. Note you should use * for multiplying and / for dividing and I advise making use of brackets. For example you could use:

6*(75-2)+7+3+3
Google will tell you that this equals 451.

So then to post a new game you would simply put the target and all the numbers you used. So in this case:

Target: 451
Numbers: 75, 7, 6, 3, 3, 2

It would then be up to somebody to work out how to get to that target.

RULES:

- Please make sure the target you post is possible. If it's a complicated one I advise writing it down somewhere in case everyone gets stuck on it and what's to know the answer.
- I'm not sure how to run the game yet so I'll just let anyone post new games for the moment and people can just solve whichever ones they like.
- You don't have to use all the numbers you post in getting to the target though. For example you could put in Google 100*4+5/5 to get to a target of 401 but then give the numbers: 100, 4, 5, 5, 6, 6 so you have added in the extra 6's to make it less obvious what numbers to use.
- You don't have to stick to the same numbers as Countdown does. You can make it as easy or hard as you like. But be warned if you make it too hard people might not be very happy with you! :p
[ Last edit by laundry April 22, 2016, 06:35 pm ] IP Logged

I will start off with some for people to do:

Target: 538  Numbers: 100, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3
Target: 135  Numbers: 40,13, 3, 3, 1
Target: 219  Numbers 50, 7, 6, 5, 4, 4, 2
IP Logged

Sorry laundry but I hate maths and am totally useless when it comes to numbers.  I do remember Countdown but was only interested in the words side of it.  Hope you do get some maths lovers though!
IP Logged

Dont worry i don't think anyone likes maths

All the surviving games on here are word games.
IP Logged

Maybe you could come with a Countdown word version of this because we could do with a bit of light-heartedness right now.
IP Logged

I guess I could do an anagram game.
IP Logged

That sounds a very good idea.  We had one before but it was only the names of tennis players, most of which were easily recognisable because they were mainly the names of current players.
IP Logged

I will start off with some for people to do:

Target: 538  Numbers: 100, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3.......100 - (7  + 4 ) = 89  x 6 + 4 = 538
Target: 135  Numbers: 40,13, 3, 3, 1............40 X 3 = 120 + 13 + 3 - 1 = 135
Target: 219  Numbers 50, 7, 6, 5, 4, 4, 2......50 +  6 x 4 = 224 - 5  = 219

Would one set of numbers at a time be better?

Target: 646    Numbers 100, 6, 4, 9, 2, 5
             258    Numbers   50, 2, 1, 6, 10, 7
              159   Numbers     75,2, 7, 6, 6, 5
IP Logged
Pages: [1] Reply