MurraysWorld  >  Playground  >  What are you reading right now?
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 98 [99] 100 101 Reply

What are you reading right now?

Alas, I thought it was vile  yuk Rape, torture, disfigurement and, for me, it hangs on an all too familiar trope. Writer seems to have an adolescent fixation with large breasts too, Can't begin to imagine Scarlett Johansson, a lovely woman, as the central, grossly disfigured character either.
Can't wait to tear into it at my book club   Rolling Eyes

Ah pity - but it sounds like the film is pretty different. Not much violence shown, SJ is glam looking in it. What fascinated me was that the filmed some of her encounters 'authentically' i.e. she drove round glasgow and actually picked men up - some of the scenes you can really tell it is spontaneous
IP Logged

I'm currently reading "Bringing Home The Ashes" by Joe Root.

I'm also slowly reading:
"London Belongs To Me" by Norman Collins
"Les Miserables" by Victor Hugo

I think I should read Joe Root's book, do you like cricket?
You've been reading London Belongs To Me for a long time haven't you?!  It's a good book, I like it.
IP Logged

If you're at all interested in the major events of the last 40 years really recommend Adie. She was there! Well written too.

Kate Adie's book's on EBay right now.  I might get it, but I have so many books around the place.
IP Logged

Ah pity - but it sounds like the film is pretty different. Not much violence shown, SJ is glam looking in it.
Totally different then, thought so. Imagine all those men thought all their Christmasses had come at once when SJ picked them up.
IP Logged

Having banned myself from buying any new books for eight months because I have so many books I haven’t read yet, I ducked into the Gower Street Waterstones to get out of a downpour on my way to the library for work a few weeks ago. Ended up leaving with a sack of books, and have been randomly buying books online ever since. Oops.

Have also fallen down a feminist science fiction rabbit hole - blaming it on my friends who named the tables at their wedding after novels...

Still have too many books I haven’t read. Think the next new book buying ban will need to be 12 months...

Also: is there anything more annoying than going out of your way to order the non-film tie-in edition of a book, only to be delivered the film tie-in edition you were specifically trying to avoid?
IP Logged

^  I don't think you should ban yourself from buying books, there isn't a limit to the number of books you can have.  But really it's fatal to go into Waterstones, even because of the rain.  Waterstones are there to attract you and it'd seem strange if you didn't get something when you were there Smile
It is a bit annoying to get a film tie-in edition which you didn't actually want - I suppose you have to be very careful when ordering books etc
IP Logged

^  I don't think you should ban yourself from buying books, there isn't a limit to the number of books you can have.  But really it's fatal to go into Waterstones, even because of the rain.  Waterstones are there to attract you and it'd seem strange if you didn't get something when you were there Smile
It is a bit annoying to get a film tie-in edition which you didn't actually want - I suppose you have to be very careful when ordering books etc

I wouldn’t usually impose a (temporary) book buying ban*, but it got to the point where I had so many books I hadn’t read that I needed to do it. Also there is the question of having enough space... and I’m supposed to be moving house...

Also went through a patch where I was really struggling to read on my commute, so I turned to listening to Doctor Who spin-off audio dramas made by Big Finish. The ones I like the most are on a hiatus at the moment, so maybe I’ll manage to start reading on the train again.

Anyway, I now need to decide what books to take on holiday with me next week...

*the ban does not include buying books for work or for the mini-humans my friends keep producing...
IP Logged

^  Yes books do take up a lot of room.  Have you got a Kindle?  I haven't got one.  It must be exciting to move house so I hope the move goes well when you do decide to move.  I imagine you'll go back to reading books on the train before long.
I hope you'll have a good holiday and that you'll find some interesting books to take with you.
IP Logged

^ No Kindle, a friend had one and I tried it out, but not my cup of tea. I know people who have a Kindle for travelling, and printed books for home/work. Increasing numbers of my students are using ebooks, but many of them are using ebook apps on tablets, laptops and mobile phones rather than Kindles.

Unfortunately the house move is not exciting, and out of necessity rather than wanting to move.
IP Logged
ATS

Just finished Molly Ringwald's translation of Philippe Besson's 'Lie With Me'.  Wow. 
IP Logged

Just finished Molly Ringwald's translation of Philippe Besson's 'Lie With Me'.  Wow.  

Is it good? Would I like it?  Can you say a bit more about it?

I'm waiting to read "Cilca's Journey" which is the sequel to "The Tattooist of Auschwitz".  I think this book will be very interesting, I'm waiting for it to come from EBay next week.
[ Last edit by moonglow January 04, 2020, 08:06 am ] IP Logged

Is it good? Would I like it?  Can you say a bit more about it?

It is quite a compact book - about 150 pages, about two young gay men, with some Proustian overtones, exploring issues like class and shame. Whether you'd like it depends on what sort of books and topics you like, maybe have a look at a couple of book reviews?
IP Logged

Where The Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens.      Wonderful coming of age story set in the marshlands of North Carolina.    Lyrical description of the landscape.
IP Logged

It is quite a compact book - about 150 pages, about two young gay men, with some Proustian overtones, exploring issues like class and shame. Whether you'd like it depends on what sort of books and topics you like, maybe have a look at a couple of book reviews?

I think it'd be a good idea to look at the reviews - thanks
IP Logged

Cilka's Journey - Heather Morris

This is the sequel to The Tattoist from Auschwitz

I've had "Cilka's Journey" in the house for about 3 months and have never really properly started it.
I think I'd like to read it, it's just that other things have got in the way of reading.
But i do think this will be a good time to catch up on books I've always meant to read, and it'll help pass the time and keep me from thinking too much about certain things around me.
Maybe other fans of Andy will also like to catch up on their reading Smile
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 98 [99] 100 101 Reply