MurraysWorld  >  Sports Talk  >  London Olympics 2012: Other sports
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 ... 34 Reply

London Olympics 2012: Other sports

I think Dynamo should do the men's gymnastics. He'd show 'em a thing or two.
IP Logged

Anyone else feel that women's football should be restricted to the Paralympics?
They all strike me as Lebonese.  Frown  All credit to them, but I can't watch - just doesn't sit right.
IP Logged

Footie shouldn't be an Olympic sport.  Period!  Anyway your comment is a bit insulting to the Paralympics.

And on this subject, why is women's boxing now being allowed?  If there's anything worse than seeing men trying to knock each other senseless in the name of sport, it has to be this.  It's grotesque.
IP Logged

It's grotesque.
Indeed.
IP Logged
ljs

tsk tsk Aileen , why shouldnt the women be allowed to box ??
Its not pro boxing , have never seen women knocking each other senseless.
Based entirely on the points system. I think its about time !!!!
IP Logged

Boxing has probably been the most exciting sport in the olympics so far.

As for women's football, I enjoyed watching it. The highest level is quite good. The goalkeepers can be a bit meh, but it is a high quality there.

I think hockey has been my favourite sport to watch so far, love it. Handball and volleyball are up there too.
IP Logged

Boxing is a brilliant sport, one of my favorite. It's in the nature of the man to try to be as much powerfull as he can and to measure his  strength with other men. The description "men trying to knock each other senseless " is way off. It's not about knocking someone out, it's about being faster then your oponent, having better footwork, having better coordination, better technique, better fitness and lots more. It's not like the common bar fights, these man are high class athletes and they work really hard to put all these pieces together, so they can overwhelm their oponent in a fair contest. I would say boxing is an art and very exiting to watch.

PS What about introducing MMA to the games?
IP Logged

Haven't they been playing better than the men? Eyebrow raise.
IP Logged

Haven't they been playing better than the men? Eyebrow raise.
Well they managed to string more than three passes together, so yes.
IP Logged

Footie shouldn't be an Olympic sport.  Period!  Anyway your comment is a bit insulting to the Paralympics.

And on this subject, why is women's boxing now being allowed?  If there's anything worse than seeing men trying to knock each other senseless in the name of sport, it has to be this.  It's grotesque.

What about Beach Volleyball?  And I would agree about the women's boxing.  Men's I'm a bit meh about it.  Hubby loves boxing but thinks women's boxing is totally wrong.
IP Logged

Well they managed to string more than three passes together, so yes.

lol  The Kiwi's have apparently qualified - full of Americans I believe Very Happy
IP Logged

Boxing is a brilliant sport, one of my favorite. It's in the nature of the man to try to be as much powerfull as he can and to measure his  strength with other men. The description "men trying to knock each other senseless " is way off. It's not about knocking someone out, it's about being faster then your oponent, having better footwork, having better coordination, better technique, better fitness and lots more. It's not like the common bar fights, these man are high class athletes and they work really hard to put all these pieces together, so they can overwhelm their oponent in a fair contest. I would say boxing is an art and very exiting to watch.
I know it's called "The Noble Art", and I understand about the discipline and hard work involved (something Andy greatly admires and has taken inspiration from), but if it isn't ultimately about hurting or KOing your opponent, then why is this allowed to happen?  It's well known that many boxers suffer permanent or even fatal brain damage.  I can accept boxing's other attributes, but not this.

IP Logged

Many is pushing it, it's very rare that something like that happens. Sports like F1, for instance, are far more dangerous to human life. If people want to take part in the sport, knowing the risks, then it's their choice. At the end of the day, no-one's forcing you to follow it.
[ Last edit by TheMadHatter August 01, 2012, 02:28 am ] IP Logged

Am loving the swimming commentary. Adrian Moorhouse, I think it's him, totally rocks. wub So enthusiastic and excited about all British prospects but totally appreciative of all gr8 swimmers and swims. yay
Wish he commentated on tennis. But we are stuck with the boring flat, monotonous voices of Lloyd and co.  yuk
IP Logged

Oh well, the Brits are now out in badminton.  Shame, because we won medals in Beijing and Athens, but these top players have now retired and it's a much younger crowd coming through.  This is their first Olympics, so better luck next time round.

Oh, bit of contraversy in the badminton I hear today.  Bit of alledged match rigging going on. Think
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 ... 34 Reply