MurraysWorld  >  Sports Talk  >  The Ashes 2006-07.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 ... 26 Reply

The Ashes 2006-07.

Holy crap........oh well, at least there's the rugby doh, football doh, and motor racing doh.....tennis cmon yeah elephant polo cmon yeah 3-day eventing cmon yeah

Lol. Yup, I agree with that.
IP Logged

roflmao The Ashes has been a bit of a letdown. I was looking forward to it as well. Frown
IP Logged

we ain't doing that badly rihgt now.. 111-5
IP Logged

This partnership between Hayden and Symonds has highlighted one of the main differences in the 2 sides for me.
84-5 yet they will still end up pretty close to 400. If we were 84-5, it would take some sort of miracle to make it to 150.
IP Logged

Another one slips away....372-7 at close Crying or Very sad
IP Logged

Hmmm 400 was a bit optimistic on my part it seems.
I reckon it will be over sometime in the final session tomorrow. 3 day innings defeat.
IP Logged

Australia could declare now and bowl England out tomorrow and win

Highlights: Fourth Ashes Test - Day Two
Sky Sports Highlights
IP Logged

I reckon it will be over sometime in the final session tomorrow. 3 day innings defeat.
...and that's what happened   roflmao roflmao   A defeat of an innings and 99 runs for England.   roflmao

Highlights: Fourth Ashes Test - Day Three
Sky Sports Highlights
IP Logged

DREADFUL.

I watched the highlights for day 2 last night. Ugh. 4s and 6s all over the place. Shame about the LBWs that we just weren't getting....but honestly. Pants.
IP Logged

MW Fantasy League          
      Team Name           Coach    Points Last Game   TOTAL POINTS
1. Netcord'snickers          gordon          749                           5023
2. Wickety Willows           Bev               663                           4729
3. Josh CC                       Josh              677                           4710
4. Cuauhtemotzin            Arka              824                           4609
5. England AJC                Alex              627                           4595
6. Allans_ashes               Allan              887                           4097
7. D&B                             David             549                           4001
8. AZ                               Annie             829                            3893

I got the most points last game and overtook David woohoo
IP Logged

The ashes have been very dissapointing this year and I think it's down to Flintoff being captain, he denies the acusations of his recent loss of form down to him being captain but I disagree because there is alot of pressure on him to do well and if he wasn't captain then I believe we would of put up more of a fight, he has made wrong decisions on the pitch and it shows from the amount of runs Australia have made. When Michael Vaughn is back then I rekon he should be captain again or even Andrew Strauss but not Flintoff he is just not right for that sort of responsibility.
IP Logged

I think the problem with Flintoff's captaincy is - like you say - the pressure. How on earth can one man be expected to be chief bowler, batsman and captain? It's just not possible.
Anyone know why they didn't pick Strauss?
IP Logged

Trescothick and Vaughan were massive losses in terms of runs and leadership/experience. Simon Jones however was an irreplaceable loss. The one bowler who really had it over the Aussies last time, and it's a shame we didn't get to see what he could do on the Australian pitches.

I don't know about the rest of you but I'm getting pretty sick of hearing this "we weren't well enough prepared" excuse.
FFS, who's fault is that? Someone has to be made accountable for that and heads must roll. After the Champions Trophy early exit, why the hell did everyone go back home to spend time with their families and f**k about ahead of the biggest seires, possibly in English test history and certainly in each player's career? Go to Australia early and use the extra time! Play more warm up matches. For example, Harmison finally started to look reasonable rather than abysmal in Perth, the 3rd test. It's well known he needs a lot of time, so why didn't we come early and have him playing in 5 or 6 proper warm up matches so he was fully up for the 1st test? Why was he left out of 1 of the 3 poxy ones we had? The lack of preparation excuse holds no merit. It's only the players and management's own fault, and someone has to be made accountable for it.

As for the selection issues, Fletcher has to go, as does Flintoff as captain. As does Bell, either drop down the order or not in the side. Not good enough to be at number 3, got a couple of scores but he gets too many 0s and single figure scores. He's sort of player who only makes less than 10 or 50+, and too high a proportion is coming in the less than 10 category. Must either be 6 or not in the side at all.

4 is too high for Bell. Pietersen has to be tried there, as he was albeit in vain in the last innings (3 and a half matches too late unfortunately). He needs to be the one to take control of the innings, rather than being stuck with the tail as he usually is. It's either 5/6 (preferably 6 where he actually has an average of 93 - it decreases as he moves up the order having batted at every postion from opening to 6 in tests) or nothing for Bell IMO.

I read a very interesting piece comparing Bell and Michael Clarke during the 1st test (while slacking off at work and following the cricket online instead). Both the same sort of age (1 year difference, can't remember which was which), and had similar sort of test careers so far being in the side for roughly the same amount of time with almost the same averages (before this series), although Bell was a bit worse if you took away scores against Bangladesh. Clarke had done slightly better (and a lot better now), main difference being he's never been 'thrown in at the deep end' so to speak. He hasn't had to bat at 3 in an Ashes series and come in at 1-1, or open the batting in India etc. He's never batted higher than 4 I think, with almost all of his time coming at 5/6 and his average is highest at 6. Again, like Bell it decreases as he moves up the order. During this series he's been coming it at scores like 457-4 and 380-4 etc, no pressure, job already done. Bell generally comes at 25-1, give or take 10, with the task of fighting off McGrath, Lee and Clark in intense conditions, then Warne if he's managed to survive that far. Put him at 5/6 for a long time like Clarke and he'd probably have stats that make him look a much better player. Sure he will have to come in at 70-4 and try to rescure the innings sometimes, but he will also occasionally get the chance to come in at much better scores where the mindset can be a little different and allow him to play a bit more freely.

Having said that, when everyone is back fully fit, I'd leave him out for now. Assuming Trescothick is finished, my ideal lineup would be something like:
Strauss, Cook, Vaughan (c), Pietersen, Collingwood, Flintoff, Read, S.Jones, Harmison, Hoggard, Panesar
Trouble is that's an exceptionally long tail starting at 7 (some might argue it begins at 6 given Flintoff's current form) and it's pretty hard to guess what order 8-11 would come in so it's probably not a lineup Fletcher would ever choose. If Trescothick does ever come back, then he's straight in opening for me, and not sure who to leave out. I suppose it would be Collingwood with the batsmen from Cook downwards moving down a spot.

lol Apologies for the exceptionally long rant, this is a copy and paste of 3 or 4 posts I posted elsewhere, and just combined them here into 1 long rant.
[ Last edit by invisibleman18 December 29, 2006, 11:10 AM ] IP Logged

clap Enjoyed that!!
IP Logged

I think Alex should be the manager for all of England's squads... Then they might actually win some stuff...
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 ... 26 Reply