MurraysWorld  >  Tennis Talk  >  ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players
Pages: 1 ... 1313 1314 1315 [1316] 1317 1318 1319 ... 1342 Reply

ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players

No surprise that Rafa won, but it was a pretty good effort by Anderson.

Now Rafa is only 3 Slams behind Fed.  Anyone like to bet he'll either equal him or surpass him?
IP Logged

Now Rafa is only 3 Slams behind Fed.  Anyone like to bet he'll either equal him or surpass him?
It really seems that he might! And well done Kevin in the face of a steamroller. Very glad it was Rafa and not Fed.
IP Logged

It really seems that he might! And well done Kevin in the face of a steamroller. Very glad it was Rafa and not Fed.
I think we all are!   If Rafa keeps playing for a few more years, which is what he intends to do, then I think he's got a good chance of overtaking Fed, who I really can't see winning more than one Slam now, if even that.  Also given what Kevin went through with injuries last year and the beginning of this, it must seem like a dream come true just reaching a Slam final for the first time, even if the tournament was lacking a few top names.
[ Last edit by Aileen September 11, 2017, 12:52 AM ] IP Logged

Anyone like to bet he'll either equal him or surpass him?

I was away in Dornoch this weekend in a hotel with limited wifi, so just catching up.   Well done to Kevin Anderson and Rafa.  If Rafa wins 19,  will he already more than equal Federer, as doesn't he have Olympic Gold from Beijing?
IP Logged
deb

Wouldn't that be good Wink and if he stays healthy he could Smile
IP Logged

I think we all are!   If Rafa keeps playing for a few more years, which is what he intends to do, then I think he's got a good chance of overtaking Fed, who I really can't see winning more than one Slam now, if even that. 

Yes well if Rafa is fit I can't see much stopping him winning 2-3 more FO's. Like Fed on grass, he has the game that can keep him winning on clay even if he declined a bit from current form.

So its interesting - could end up on a knife-edge for which one of them gets most GS titles
IP Logged

As one of those people writing Rafa off a few years ago, I'm eating a huge piece of humble pie!  Rolling Eyes
I think he's playing much better these days, much more aggressive and much more net play, at which he is very good  thumb up Seems less twitchy too.
As for Kevin, well done and all that, but such a boring player IMHOr yawn Got very "lucky" indeed this year.
IP Logged

Well done Rafa, I'm so happy for you! Smile  I'm sure he'll get more grandslam titles than Fed.  yay
IP Logged

I have been predicting a Rafa comeback for ages now, I kept harping on about it but I started to think it might never happen. Obviously the problems with Andy and Nole have left this opportunity open - it's pretty impossible to gauge where he would have stood against them if they didn't decline.

I think what it's done is give Rafa that confidence that he's the best in the world again. He knows he can outplay the rest of the field, when Novak was there that wasn't the case and that was probably always in his head.

It will be fascinating though to see what happens if Rafa stays on top but Novak starts to make another resurgence. If I had to predict I would foresee history repeating itself again and Novak would continue to triumph in the mental battle.
IP Logged

It would seem that Moya has had a lot to do with Rafa's resurgence.  I didn't watch of the match as I was tired and it was all too predictable. Anderson must be one of the most ungainly players on the tour - he looks a bit like a daddy longlegs flailing around at times. 
Although the women's final was too one-sided to be enjoyable, I was very touched by the expressions of female friendship afterwards and many congratulations to Sloane Stephens. 
IP Logged

I was away in Dornoch this weekend in a hotel with limited wifi, so just catching up.   Well done to Kevin Anderson and Rafa.  If Rafa wins 19,  will he already more than equal Federer, as doesn't he have Olympic Gold from Beijing?
He does, defeating Fernando Gonzalez in straight sets in the final.

As one of those people writing Rafa off a few years ago, I'm eating a huge piece of humble pie!  Rolling Eyes
I think he's playing much better these days, much more aggressive and much more net play, at which he is very good  thumb up Seems less twitchy too.
As for Kevin, well done and all that, but such a boring player IMHOr yawn Got very "lucky" indeed this year.
I haven't seen less twitching but I have noticed for a while that there's been an absence of the rather embarrassing wedgie-picking.

I agree Kevin is a bit boring, and although I did watch the final I wasn't exactly riveted to the TV, but at least he had the honesty to say when he got to the semis that the absence of Andy and Novak had made things easier for him.  However, given the recent injury problems he's had, which saw him slump way down the rankings, I don't grudge him his success, and his match against PCB was a pretty tough one.

IP Logged

I see that we have four players in semis in challenger tournaments (Nottingham 3) and Jay Clarke in a final.

Good to see them have good results. Learning from winning matches is vital to my mind so encouraging. We need more playing in ATP/WTA  tournaments where they have to get the full match and life in tennis experience ?
IP Logged

Wishing I could watch the Davis Cup playoffs! Looks like Denis is cleaning up for Canada!

But no ranking points, right?
IP Logged

Wishing I could watch the Davis Cup playoffs! Looks like Denis is cleaning up for Canada!

But no ranking points, right?
Right, unfortunately.
IP Logged

An Interesting interview with Nadal, explaining what keeps him humble and grounded, his attitude towards the game and how taking on Carlos Moya has helped him -

http://www.atpworldtour.com/en/news/nadal-feature-2017-lunes
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 1313 1314 1315 [1316] 1317 1318 1319 ... 1342 Reply