MurraysWorld  >  Tennis Talk  >  ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players
Pages: 1 ... 1660 1661 1662 [1663] 1664 1665 1666 ... 1706 Reply

ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players

As we watch younger players still  battling against Djokovic in finals I think it shows what  an achievement it was for Andy  in to beat him in two slams.

That was my thought too.    Djoko in his pomp at the time.     Mind you he probably still is.  I don't like Medvedev - never have - so am well pleased with the result.
IP Logged

Sorry that was a bit of an exaggeration on my part, but it did look as though Djoko was hugging everyone in sight, although I think it was just his team and his rather considerable number of family members plus possibly a few supporters.

Medvedev turned 25 on the 11th of this month  (I'd forgotten how old he is), so he does have plenty of time in which to win a Slam or more, but hopefully next time he gets to a final he'll keep his frustrations under control.  He was fine in the first set, and then just started to fall apart rather spectacularly by letting Djoko get to him.

It sounds as if he hugged lots of people all the same.
It isn't right to hug people during a pandemic however excited you are. Hasn't he heard of social distancing?

Yes Daniil is 25, sorry he lost. But it was unlikely Djokovic would have been keen to relinquish his title.
It's to be hoped that when we reach the French Open, Djokovic will have run out of love to throw around.
Djokovic is a great player however I'd have preferred Daniil to win. Looking back, I now wonder if Stefanos T would have won?
IP Logged

As we watch younger players still  battling against Djokovic in finals I think it shows what  an achievement it was for Andy  in to beat him in two slams.

Also as Andy had to fight so much to get slam wins, I prefer to see the nextgen having to also battle very hard for it. Thiem got one after 4 finals, so fair enough but I'm in no hurry to see any of the others make it yet.
IP Logged

Yes Daniil is 25, sorry he lost. But it was unlikely Djokovic would have been keen to relinquish his title.
It's to be hoped that when we reach the French Open, Djokovic will have run out of love to throw around.
Djokovic is a great player however I'd have preferred Daniil to win. Looking back, I now wonder if Stefanos T would have won?
I wondered that too about Tsitsipas particularly as some of us thought that he 'd be more likely to crack under pressure than Medvedev, yet the latter lost his cool repeatedly in the second and third sets.

As for Djokovic I doubt he'll ever stop throwing the love around!

PS:  I've just been reading a report that Djokovic plans to play less tournaments now, which if true can only be good news for the other players.
[ Last edit by Aileen February 21, 2021, 02:16 pm ] IP Logged

http://www.usagoals.video/c/tennis/atp-montpellier-1-16-final/24-02-2021/jannik-sinner-vs-aljaz-bedene/1/

First set Sinner 6-3.  Bedene currently 4-1 in second.

5-2.  Sinner serving to stay in the set - but gets brokevn to love.  His serving level has dropped in this set which isn't helping but Bedene is playing some very smart tennis.

3-3 and going with serve in the third.

5-4 Bedene.  Sinner serving to stay in the match, and holds to love

Bedene holds and so does Sinner, so tiebreak time.

4-2 Bedene but Sinner who is now clearly suffering from a lower back problem has a MTO.  Fortunately it just seems to be some stiffness.

Back on court.  Sinner moving well.

Good net play from Bedene and it's 6-3.

GSM Bedene - something which was not predicted!   And he would have played Andy next had he won his match.
[ Last edit by Aileen February 24, 2021, 03:12 pm ] IP Logged

Well done Aljaz, you didnt fall for the medical time out ruse
IP Logged

Well done Aljaz, you didnt fall for the medical time out ruse
I agree, although I don't think Sinner was play acting about his lower back being sore, but it wasn't impacting on his game so no need for a MTO right in the middle of a tiebreak, something the comms remarked on.
IP Logged

Montpellier final - Bautista Agut takes the fiirst set 7-5 but Goffin is 3-1 up in the second. cmon yeah  Fortunately he's playing and serving a lot more consistently than he did against Gerasimov.

4-3 Goffin. 

5-4 Goffin, serving for the set, which he does to love.

Gets the break in the first game of the third.  B A had chances to break in the second but couldn't take them.

Gets the double break.  5-2

Serving for the championship.

BP for B A but an unlucky net cord makes it deuce.

CP Goffin, and he takes it, winning his 5th ATP Tour title and his first one since the Rakuten Japan Open in 2017.
[ Last edit by Aileen February 28, 2021, 05:26 pm ] IP Logged

Good win for Tsitsipas Smile  qf today  cmon yeah
IP Logged

Well done Tsitsipas, you won  yay
IP Logged

Good luck Tsitsipas today  cmon yeah
IP Logged

Good luck Tsitsipas today  cmon yeah
Unfortunately Rublev defeated him 6-3, 7-6(7-2).
IP Logged

Unfortunately Rublev defeated him 6-3, 7-6(7-2).

Yes.  Sorry Tsitsipas lost  shocking
IP Logged

It sounds like it was a great final to watch with Rublev beating Fucsovics 7-6(7-4), 6-4 to claim his 7th consecutive ATP 500 title.

"Since 2009, only Roger Federer (28) and Andy Murray (21) have compiled longer winning streaks at the level. Rublev's last defeat at an ATP 500 event came against Daniel Evans at the Dubai Duty Free Tennis Championships in February 2020."

https://www.atptour.com/en/news/rublev-fucsovics-rotterdam-2021-sunday
IP Logged

Good to see Liam winning and into the final in latest Biela tournament.

One of Andy's young players, Aidan McHugh, under his management also made the Lucknow final which is an ITF event.

I wish them both well as success can only increase confidence considerably and lead to more wins?
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 1660 1661 1662 [1663] 1664 1665 1666 ... 1706 Reply