MurraysWorld  >  Tennis Talk  >  ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players
Pages: 1 ... 1664 1665 1666 [1667] 1668 1669 1670 ... 1706 Reply

ATP/WTA Tour - The Other Players

Unfortunately the same can't be said of Naomi Osaka who's suffered from depression and social anxiety since 2018 - and her actions here were never going to end well.

"Naomi Osaka withdraws from French Open amid row over press conferences"
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/may/31/naomi-osaka-withdraws-french-open-press-conference-fines-tennis

It's a shame she's withdrawn from the FO, she's a big star in Japan and they'll be sorry about her decision.  She says she's an introvert,, she doesn't seem like that to me.
If she really does find herself to be all stressed up (and depressed) about having to give interviews, then it's best she should withdraw from that tournament.  But she needs to find a way to do these interviews because they are expected at all the grand slam tournaments.
IP Logged

She didn't seem like an introvert to me either, but you don't know what's going on beneath the surface.  Also she's had three years in which to get help, so it's a shame that she left it until she's at breaking point.  How did she manage at minor tournaments though because players are expected to do the same there? As for pulling out, she could have been disqualified for failing to meet her obligations - and I doubt many players want that on their record particularly as it's a Slam.
IP Logged

Well I suppose we don't know if she has already tried to get help. 
She must have been doing interviews at minor tournaments otherwise she'd have got into trouble there too.
She must have thought the best thing to do was to pull out otherwise, as you say, she could have been disqualified,, and probably would have been.
She is a big star and all the attention might have affected her wellbeing I suppose, although she has been in the limelight for quite a while now.
Anyway I imagine she wants to take some time off, and we may or may not see her at Wimbledon.
IP Logged

Rafa re Osaka :

IP Logged

She didn't seem like an introvert to me either, but you don't know what's going on beneath the surface.  Also she's had three years in which to get help, so it's a shame that she left it until she's at breaking point.  How did she manage at minor tournaments though because players are expected to do the same there? As for pulling out, she could have been disqualified for failing to meet her obligations - and I doubt many players want that on their record particularly as it's a Slam.

I wonder if it all stems from her winning her first Slam at the US Open.  Someone works hard to achieve a goal and instead of cheers she received boos.  If I remember even the during the interview with Serena the compare couldn’t hide his disappointment. It must have been a nightmare to go through.   
[ Last edit by waverlybear June 01, 2021, 09:13 am ] IP Logged

THAT JUST REMINDED ME OF THIS:

I remember that and wondered why they didn't have the decency to stop the interview until he'd recovered.

I wonder if it all stems from her winning her first Slam at the US Open.  Someone works hard to achieve a goal and instead of cheers she received boos.  If I remember even the during the interview with Serena the compare couldn’t hide his disappointment. It must have been a nightmare to go through.   
I thought about that too particularly as I recall how shaken Naomi was at the time.  Mind you Serena did nothing to help the situation with her outrageous on-court behavour,

[ Last edit by Aileen June 01, 2021, 07:33 pm ] IP Logged

Who ever thought that Press Conferences could be dangerous!

https://www.forbes.com/sites/adamzagoria/2021/06/01/petra-kvitov-withdraws-from-french-open-after-injuring-her-ankle-during-press-conference/?sh=1ca2a43435b9
IP Logged

Good R2 wins for Tsitsipas. Medvedev and Zverev who are all playing well  yay cmon yeah
The other player who played well and is worth watching these days is Kei Nishikori who won in 5 sets, that's very good, well done Kei  yay cmon yeah
Wins for other people too, but these 4 stick in my mind.
IP Logged

Why on earth does Serena Williams insist on wearing these floaty outfits that look ridiculous on a woman with her physical stature.  She’s reminiscent of the Hulk today...  Am sure she could find something a little more flattering.  Yours the Fashion Police...
IP Logged

Zverev, Tsitsipas and Medvedev all into R3  yay
& Kei is there too, a walkover.
Kei plays Z in R4 tomorrow.
IP Logged

Why on earth does Serena Williams insist on wearing these floaty outfits that look ridiculous on a woman with her physical stature.  She’s reminiscent of the Hulk today...  Am sure she could find something a little more flattering.  Yours the Fashion Police...

She could have chosen something more flattering I'd have thought!
IP Logged

Is it my imagination/timing or is ITV4 showing more  women’s matches than men’s?   
IP Logged

"Roger Federer Withdraws From Roland Garros"
https://www.atptour.com/en/news/federer-roland-garros-2021-withdrawal

Surely if a player withdraws simply because they feel that after playing three matches they have to pull out of a tournament in order to protect their bodies and not because of injury, the player they played last, in this case Dominik Koepfer, should be awarded the match?  I remember Andy doing this once several years ago citing fatigue as the reason and there was a big fuss about it, yet Federer does it and nobody says anything.
IP Logged

I thought Musetti was going to achieve the impossible after winning the first 2 sets, but for Djokovic normal service has been resumed.
IP Logged

"Roger Federer Withdraws From Roland Garros"
https://www.atptour.com/en/news/federer-roland-garros-2021-withdrawal

Surely if a player withdraws simply because they feel that after playing three matches they have to pull out of a tournament in order to protect their bodies and not because of injury, the player they played last, in this case Dominik Koepfer, should be awarded the match?  I remember Andy doing this once several years ago citing fatigue as the reason and there was a big fuss about it, yet Federer does it and nobody says anything.

I remember that, Aileen.    Was it Washington against Copil, a very hard match with a very late finish, about 3 a.m., and he sobbed his heart out when he sat down at the end.    I think he realised he couldn't play again the same day.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 1664 1665 1666 [1667] 1668 1669 1670 ... 1706 Reply