MurraysWorld  >  Tennis Talk  >  Club talk and tennis tips
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 [28] Reply

Club talk and tennis tips

Playing away at quite a posh club I've never played at tomorrow. Apparently they have 5 courts including 2 grass ones. Didn't realise there were any real grass courts in NZ as I've never seen one, so hoping we get to play on them if there are no other matches on there.

Grass is excellent fun to play on, especially if you have a decent serve and a reasonable slice.

Having said that, last time I played doubles on grass my partner lost his temper so badly he smashed his racquet into the ground so hard it bounced over the surrounding fence.

Embarrassing.
IP Logged

Oops didn't see the above post. Didn't end up playing on the grass at that club as the courts were in a pretty run down and unplayable state, and turns out the club are massively in debt and don't even own the courts themselves. Played on some nice artificial turf courts instead and had a good win. However, they do claim to be the third oldest grass court club in the world having been established in 1879.  

Ended up winning my last 2 singles matches of the summer season to move my ranking up to a level it hasn't been since 2009. Kind of similar to Murray in that I've had my best year as I've turned 30! Decided to give up football this year and just stick to tennis as I've been enjoying it more so entered a winter singles league. Had my first match today and won a good battle. Won first set 6-3, then at 1-2 in the 2nd we had a marathon game on my serve that went to something like 10 deuces. Eventually won it but took me a while to recover from it by which time the 2nd set was gone. In this league we're playing a tiebreak to 10 instead of full 3rd set and I held my nerve better to take it 10-6. Got up 4-1 quickly so was always ahead in it, and generously he double faulted on my first match point.

Opponent was much younger and faster than me and probably had some better shots, but I was more consistent and had success by keeping the rallies long instead of going for big shots early. Looking forward to next week.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 [28] Reply