MurraysWorld  >  Tennis Talk  >  US Open 2020 - The Other Players
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] Reply

US Open 2020 - The Other Players

Sadly the match was the definition of chokefest. After so many years of the big 3/4/5 that was some comedown.

Theim merited it though - he's knocked at the door several times and seemed to play through injury.

IP Logged

Well done Thiem!   It looked like an uneventful final when Zerev took the the first two sets so easily.  I left the match at the end of the 4th set.  As others have said it was hard not to feel sorry for Zerev.   The opportunities have been few and far between for other players to get to finals.   Surely that will change in the years ahead?
IP Logged

Well done Thiem, he just kept fighting. I went to bed after Thiem won the 3rd set as I thought he would win anyway and can't stay up that late anymore.
IP Logged

(sorry the videos have been taken down)  shocking
So I see. The video police didn't waste much time with this one!

Well done Thiem!   It looked like an uneventful final when Zerev took the the first two sets so easily.  I left the match at the end of the 4th set.  As others have said it was hard not to feel sorry for Zerev.   The opportunities have been few and far between for other players to get to finals.   Surely that will change in the years ahead?
Well it says something that Thiem is the first player born after 1990 to have won a Slam!  As for Zverev I'm sure he'll get over it and also it might knock some of the arrogance out of him.  This was Thiem's fourth GS final, so I was very glad that he finally made it.
IP Logged

Zverev has a big problem with his serve now. No confidence at all when it gets tough. Personally i think he needs to be toughened up mentally.

However let us not forget he has won the end of season Championship 'out of order' so he does have a big win in his CV.
IP Logged

Zverev has a big problem with his serve now. No confidence at all when it gets tough. Personally i think he needs to be toughened up mentally.
I agree particularly as in theory the trophy should have been in his hands, not Thiem's. but Zverev let it all slip away from him while Thiem just kept battling on.
IP Logged

This was Thiem's fourth GS final, so I was very glad that he finally made it.

Agreed.   Although sport like life isn’t always fair, this result seemed like the right one.  As Murray fans we can all remember waiting for Andy’s first slam win.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] Reply