MurraysWorld  >  Tennis Talk  >  Western & Southern Open
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 ... 33 Reply

Western & Southern Open

I think that the following from Andy after the match sums it up perfectly:

"But I was really not happy with that at all. I have much higher standards than that. Not good enough tonight."

He was angry with himself that he had hit a wall so, in my opinion, just did not cope. All those just missed shots in the first set were nearly always long. Was that just the extra speed of the ball playing Raonic? I do not quite know how you can prepare for playing him.

Well done to him for getting back and showing us a some of his skills again is all we can say?  I look forward to more at the US Open. He could do with two wins to get his ranking a little more respectable for future event entries. Let us hope that the draw is kind.
IP Logged

Raonic’s wins against Andy have mostly come when he’s either been tired or not in a good place mentally or physically. Things like late 2012 when he’d had a lot matches and big emotional events, clay in 2012 Andy’s back was a big issue, and IW 2014 when Lendl had just left. I think yesterday he was probably a bit tired after two long matches and a short recovery time. He seemed so irritated yesterday, perhaps because he couldn’t find a way to play against Raonic in the game style which has been effective against him since late 2014?
IP Logged

I agree, ATL, I think the two previous matches were telling on him, and yes, his approach to dealing with Raonic, who played very calmly, just wasn't working. I wonder if he shouldn't have tried some different tactics and had a go at messing with Raonic's mind a bit, trying some different speeds, maybe a few drop shots, things to throw him off. But I think in a way he didn't have the energy for it.
IP Logged

Andy's comments on his loss from the BBC Sport website -

"I don't know how much of it was due to the conditions at the beginning or if I was just a little bit slow. I don't know."

"But I was really not happy with that at all. I have much higher standards than that. Not good enough tonight."
IP Logged

^ He was close with 'a little bit slow' but more, to me, it was that he did not quite cope with the speed as many good shots from him went just long.  Let us be fair. He will not have played or practised against the likes of a Raonic these last six months? To have to play him at this stage in his return was unfortunate.
IP Logged

I think that the following from Andy after the match sums it up perfectly:

He was angry with himself that he had hit a wall so, in my opinion, just did not cope. All those just missed shots in the first set were nearly always long. Was that just the extra speed of the ball playing Raonic? I do not quite know how you can prepare for playing him.

Well done to him for getting back and showing us a some of his skills again is all we can say?  I look forward to more at the US Open. He could do with two wins to get his ranking a little more respectable for future event entries. Let us hope that the draw is kind.
I could see the anger and frustration in Andy.  Raonic has gotten better, has learned to deal with different shots that he used to not be able to get.  But Andy has  handled him previously, I just think Andy was not ready for what Milos was handing him.  His serve was better than the night before, getting more aces and first serves in, but unlike the night before he was making a ton of long and wide returns.  He is smart and he will figure out with his team what he must do to get better.
Raonic loves Pete Sampras and has modeled himself after Pete, so I am thinking he is working very hard on being as good.
IP Logged

^ He was close with 'a little bit slow' but more, to me, it was that he did not quite cope with the speed as many good shots from him went just long.  Let us be fair. He will not have played or practised against the likes of a Raonic these last six months? To have to play him at this stage in his return was unfortunate.
He says he practised with some of the top 20 players before the start of this tournament.  Unfortunately I think Andy puts too much expectation on himself despite what he says, and also he's a perfectionist so definitely won't be happy about this match.  His ranking though has now gone up by 19 places to No. 115 as a result of his two wins.

I didn't see Djoko's match but apparently he was still doing his 'love throwing' at a non-existent crowd - https://www.ubitennis.net/2020/08/why-does-novak-djokovic-keep-doing-his-post-match-celebration-at-a-fanless-tournament/
[ Last edit by Aileen August 26, 2020, 08:54 pm ] IP Logged

Jamie & Neal lost the first set 4-6, but are now 3-0 up in the second - and in an amazing turn-around they go on to take the set 6-1.

6-6 now in the decider.

3 MPs J & N at 9-6 ... 2 gone ... but an ace from Neal seals it 10-8.  clap
[ Last edit by Aileen August 26, 2020, 09:30 pm ] IP Logged

Jamie & Neal lost the first set 4-6, and are now 3-0 up in the second.

I cannot find this match on  Amazon Prime.  I saw it was on the list earlier, but it has disappeared!

... and it’s back!
[ Last edit by waverlybear August 26, 2020, 09:01 pm ] IP Logged

I cannot find this match on  Amazon Prime.  I saw it was on the list earlier, but it has disappeared!

... and it's back!
I'm glad you found it!  I'm having problems with AP sticking though which is a nuisance.  It was OK up till now.
IP Logged

He says he practised with some of the top 20 players before the start of this tournament.  Unfortunately I think Andy puts too much expectation on himself despite what he says, and also he's a perfectionist so definitely won't be happy about this match.  His ranking though has now gone up by 19 places to No. 115 as a result of his two wins.

I didn't see Djoko's match but apparently he was still doing his 'love throwing' at a non-existent crowd - https://www.ubitennis.net/2020/08/why-does-novak-djokovic-keep-doing-his-post-match-celebration-at-a-fanless-tournament/

I know who Andy practised with but they are not like Raonic.  He would not have been able to replicate what he was to face. I was hoping that Dan would have done better. Andy does need to get close to the top hundred in the rankings on this trip to the States. At least one win needed in the US Open preferably two so that he is closer to automatic consideration for draw entries.

Novak is an idiot in love with himself. I saw the 'love throws' at the end of his last game. One word suits:  Pathetic

PS: try shutting down your computer fully including disconnecting from the mains then rebooting if you want to avoid those pauses in video. This is backed by science but I cannot explain, with certainty, why it works.
IP Logged

^ Thanks for the tip for avoiding pauses in videos, although fortunately tonight was a rare occurrence so hopefully won't happen again.

As for Novak he's desperate to be loved by everyone but can't seem to understand that the harder he tries the less he succeeds.  He's never been a popular player because of some of his on-court antics plus his attempts to distract opponents when he thinks he might be in danger of losing a match.
IP Logged

^  Aileen, As a sportsman myself his whole behaviour is less than acceptable to most of us. Cannot understand why anyone would support him other than for country allegiance reasons.
IP Logged

Great about Jamie and Neil! Couldn't find their match even on the results of the W&S website but assumed they had won in some way because they were down for the semifinal tomorrow on the order of play! And they play Joe Salisbury and Rajeev Ram, which I guess means that at least one Brit will be in the final...

Meanwhile, on the women's side, I just watched what I think may be the best match I've ever seen Jo Konta play to beat Maria Sakkari, who put Serena out of the tournament last night. Now she plays Azarenka in the semifinal. She looks SO confident and sure of her strokes. Wonderful to see.
IP Logged

I didn't see Djoko's match but apparently he was still doing his 'love throwing' at a non-existent crowd

lol   Rolling Eyes
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 ... 33 Reply